1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1992 GMC C1500, Need some questions answered

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by JimRoss, Sep 23, 2003.

1. JimRoss

JimRoss Member

Since I didnt care the way my 03 Dodge Dakota V6 pull's my little Travel trailer ( 19', about 3000lbs without gear ), I am thinking of buying my Uncles 1992 GMC C1500 club cab with 305 V8/Auto. It is a 1 owner vehicle and just turned 90k miles. It was used simply for transportation to/from work, never towed or hauled anything in it.
    Does anyone know the HP/TQ/tow cap's for this vehicle?

Will the bumper hitch work fine ( the Dakota's bumper hitch was rated more than my TT, but added a class4 to be safe )? There is no heavy rust on frame work.

I have no idea what it's geared at, can I tell by the vin #?

If I decided to upgrade the 305 to a 350, is it a direct bolt on job?

Here is a Pic of it:
    [​IMG]

2. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

I have a 1990 Chev 4X4 with the 305/auto trans. It is not a very good engine for towing. I would doubt it has much more power than your Dakota V6. As for the gear ratio, look at the bottom of your glove box and there is a whole bunch of codes there. One of these codes is the gear ratio and rear end type. I remember a thread on these codes last spring, I'll try find it.

3. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

With only 3000 lbs of trailer weight it should work just fine.If the Dakota pulled it,then the GMC will too.

The 350 will drop right in place of the 350.Same harness,same ECM,only thing you have to change is the PROM.

5. JimRoss

JimRoss Member

Thats what I was afraid of. I'm bying this just for pulling the camper, and was hoping to be able to have more power to tow with. Price is $3500, well below actual value, so investing in a new 350 should be worth it.
    Thanx for your help.