1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1992 F-150 Plow Lights

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Chickenlover21, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Chickenlover21

Chickenlover21 Junior Member

I have a 1992 F-150 with a plow, wireing the electrical was diffucult because of the age of the truck and I did it myself. For the summer when I want to disconnect the lights is there an easier way to disconnect the electrical? I was thinking cutting the wires at the begining of the lights and using a male to femal plug. Is this a good idea? Any suggestions

2. sefh

sefh Senior Member

I've done this for a 95 F150 and also for a Jeep and have had no problem

3. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

The male/female plug idea is excellent. We have a 1992 F-250HD that we cut the wires and did just that with. An auto parts store should be able to hook you up ith a 5 way plastic connector, male/female w/ pigtails (think mfr. line was Standard). You need high beam, low beam. running lights, turn signals and a proper ground. I soldered all the connections and used shrink tube, then used GOOD 3M electrical tape around all the shrink tube fittings to really connect it in a trouble-free manner. Top it off with plastic convoluted loom and it should be all set. One more thing in the off season plug up the connectors on truck side w/ something, I simply bought 3 packages of connectors and used the spares (wires cut off so as not to cause a short!) to plug in the truck.

4. Chickenlover21

Chickenlover21 Junior Member

Thanks for the info, i will try it after this winter...