1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1992 CTD power steering pump help

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by yearground, Nov 13, 2012.

1. yearground

yearground Member
    from muskoka

My 1992 w250 ctd needs a power steering pump. It is intercooled. Some parts guys say there's no difference if intercooled. Some say there is and indeed showmetheparts.com says there is. Anybody shine any light on this? Thanks in advance.

2. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

3. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

According to what I've read, they're different. Why ? I could care less. I just ordered it from my local Napa store, and matched it up. The intercooled unit matched perfectly.

Either way, don't waste your time buying a pump that doesn't come with the reservoir. If you do, you'll have to utilize your old reservoir,and getting them to seal properly can be troublesome.

Yes, my truck is intercooled, and it took less than a half hour to replace the pump. Make sure you replace the pressure and return line, and if you really want to do the job right, flush the steering gear out first, and put in a magnefine filter before the pump in the return line. This process will make sure you don't damage the new pump with debris from internals of the old hoses and gear. The return line on your truck should be a 3/8" hose, so, make sure you get the right size filters.

I have 2 magnefines... one for my transmission (1/2" upper) and one for my PS return line (3/8" lower)

[​IMG]

4. yearground

yearground Member
    from muskoka

Thanks gentlemen. Got both to compare and they were the same. Apparently SOME aftermarket companie

5. yearground

yearground Member
    from muskoka

Just adapted the return spout to be out of the way for both. Old dodge mechanic told me that. Anyway, done with full flush. Thanks for your help.