1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1992 CTD losing coolant

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by yearground, Jan 17, 2012.

1. yearground

yearground Member
    from muskoka

Noticed my cab heat going away while plowing. Put about 3/4 gallon antifreeze in and back in business. Happened again 5 hours plowing later, put in another 1/2 gallon and took it easy. My mechanic put dye in the rad and I went out for an hour or so. Didn't seem to drop. His glasses and light see leaky rad and the slightest hint in my otherwise clean, clear oil on the dipstick. About to go drop the drain plug to get a sample of whats settled overnight and see what I'm up against. No noises, no smoke, good power. 100,000 miles on it. He says head gasket and that they're famous for breaking headbolts but I don't know. You guys have helped me out before. Any ideas?
    Ted

2. yearground

yearground Member
    from muskoka

ok oil looks good, nothing under fill cap, nothing on dipstick. Off to look at oil i drained under the magic light. Here's hoping.

3. yearground

yearground Member
    from muskoka

Light showed homogenous colour through oil. Out of curiosity, used light on brand new rotella and same damn colour!!! Just pressure tested cooling to 22 psi heard a couple creaks and small hisses but pressure stayed up % minutes. Looking for ideas. Safe to risk a 12 hr event if I keep it topped up? Other tests or ideas?

4. LeadSSled

LeadSSled Junior Member
    from East TN

Have you checked the heater core? Do you smell coolant at all in the cab or have wet carpet?

5. yearground

yearground Member
    from muskoka

yep. going to run tonite with cap not sealed and see if I still lose coolant.

6. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Had you inspect all hoses. Bottom hoses to upper hoses. Everywhere coolant hoses is.

Look for old stain like white or green on hose it leak. For me I only tight clamps after drive HOT and cool down.

Can you ask shop to test coolant to see if exhaust is enter in?