1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1992 Chevy Silverado K1500

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by HuskerSnow, Oct 17, 2010.

1. HuskerSnow

HuskerSnow Member

This is gonna be my first year plowing and I keep finding myself wanting to do more to my old truck to make it look/perform better. I ordered a front Timbren kit, installing a 2nd battery next week when I get a chance, and today I made the old truck look a little nicer by putting some bed liner on the bottom foot or so of the truck. Let me know what you guys think. Also, since its my first year, give me some tips and/or other upgrades that would be a good idea for my truck. THANKS! :D

BEFORE
    [​IMG]

AFTER
    [​IMG]

2. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

It's definatly not a must have, but some new wheels would look alot better than them ones that are on it now.

3. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Ya, find some original factory steel wheels. I have only seen a few sets of aftermarket wheels that I thought actually looked good.

Did you clean that rust up real good first? It certainly looks better.

4. HuskerSnow

HuskerSnow Member

yea I know those wheels aren't exactly the best looking haha. They came with the truck when I bought it and I just haven't felt the need to change them just yet. probably next season though. And yea I cleaned up the rust first. most of it I could wipe off with come acetone and the rest i took a sander to and got it down to bare metal.

5. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

When I first saw the truck I thought man that rust is killing the look. But that bedliner made it look alot better. Maybe some 09' rims if they'd fit. I think that would look pretty sweet.

6. HuskerSnow

HuskerSnow Member

yea, maybe a set of those 20" 6 spoke wheels from the new tahoes???? haha. If I did get new set I'd wanna get 16" wheels. Not that I wouldn't mind some bigger wheels, its just that I JUST bought those tires last fall.
    Anymore suggestions on anything else "Snow performance"/cosmetically I could do to the truck?
    THANKS guys!

7. HuskerSnow

HuskerSnow Member

Heres a better picture of the truck during the day with the bedliner on it...

[​IMG]

8. Squires

Squires Senior Member

Head light restore?, those polish kits to clean up the lenses,
    maybe a grill from a newer model, but thats not really important.
    New trans fliter and fluid change, as well as fluid changes for the transfer case and the diff's too if not already been done since you purchased the truck.
    front end holding the weight of the plow well? if not maybe timbrens
    for a 18 year old truck it looks good, the 94 6.5L i had was rusting pretty bad around the wheel wells and that was when it was onlt 10 years old back in 04, sea spray and copious amounts of road salt didn't help mind you

9. HuskerSnow

HuskerSnow Member

I've used the 3M headlight restore before on my car and did it for a couple buddies and it works really well, I'll have to do it to the truck too. I'll make sure I change out all the fluids before the season starts for sure. And the front end drops a little more than id like so I already ordered a front Timbren kit and I should be getting it Weds. this week.

10. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

11. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

That's the best looking wheel option GM has ever offered, IMO.

12. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

And they actualy look rather nice on the 90's body style. + they fit with no mods.

13. HuskerSnow

HuskerSnow Member

I was thinking maybe I could get my wheels powder coated and they would look a little better. Probably get them done in either a gloss black or a matte black.

14. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

15. mercer_me

16. bob00

bob00 Senior Member

get something to defrost rear galss its a reel pain on king cab truck if you dont alredy got one

on my 88 frist king cab i ever have got no rear defrost and men it was a reel headheck :dizzy:

i got 2 fan and now i see something wenh i back up

17. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

i meant looks almost like it same color and stuff.

18. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

if you buy a newer grill and yours isnt all fed up, pm me i need one soon!

19. mercer_me

Ya it's defiatly the smame colors.

20. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Best thing I ever did to my old '90 Chevy 1/2 ton was an auxiliary tranny cooler. The stock coolers in those trucks weren't very good. I also smoked the motor in a Chevy 350 when the oil got too hot when towing. Didn't seem to have an issue with oil temps when plowing, but coolant temps definitely shot up on the highway with the plow on; really had to limit the highway driving with the plow on that truck.