1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1991 Jimmy/S10 Issues?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by stanz, Feb 5, 2011.

1. stanz

stanz Junior Member

Background: I plow my church and a few small driveways, this includes a 200' x 6' sidewalk.

I purchased a 1991 Jimmy this year and mounted a 6.5' Western setup on it from an S10 pickup. I tweaked the torsion bars 1.5 turns and usually have 300 pounds or so of salt/sand in the back. The truck rides level and plows great unless we get more than 11" of snow.

This is the perfect sized unit for the little lot at the church since I can turn on a dime in the close quarters. It doesn't plow as well as my older trucks, but I'll take the compromise for the ease of use and GREAT fuel mileage.

I used to plow with 1980s Dodges and an 1993 Explorer. The Dodge trucks would plow through a mountain of snow, the only thing they would go through was a gas station. I only retired them when the repair cost exceeded their replacement cost.

My question is what kinds of repairs should I looks forward to?

I know about the torsion bar mounts, what about any frame weak points?

Oh, I got the Jimmy cheap and I prefer older equipment for the simplicity and I generally think the newer trucks just aren't built as strong.

2. stanz

stanz Junior Member

Well, the flex plate died and I was given a price of $950 to repair it!

I sold the truck for $500 and replaced it with a 1994 S10 Blazer Tahoe with only 106k miles that I found for $1200.
  3. CJ918

CJ918 Junior Member

how is the 94 holding up?
  4. stanz

stanz Junior Member

The '94 did fine, it only saw two storms but it handled them well, better than the '91.

I finally got the last of the rust repair panels yesterday. I'll use the summer to get the body fixed and any little issues left.

So far I've replaced two ball joints, one U-joint, and the driver's side window motor. Other than the U-joint these are common issues with the S10/S15 platform.

The window motor was surprising easy to replace. My mechanic wanted $150 to do it. I paid around $30 for the motor and it took less than 30 minutes to replace.
  5. CJ918

CJ918 Junior Member

ya my 93 is starting to rust. i am working on mounting the plow now and we will see what the winter brings.