1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1991 ford F-250 timing questions

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by james.j.smith, Dec 16, 2010.

1. james.j.smith

james.j.smith Senior Member
    from 19033

I have a 1991 for F250 with a 351 5.8l engine that is getting 8 MPG I've changed the air filter and plugs and plan on doing the distributer cap. I was going to check the timing and have been reading that I have to remove the 'spout connector' . what is the 'spout connector' ? does anyone have the procedure to check the timing in a 351? It does run a little rough while ideling. thanks for your help

2. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

on my '91 5.0 mustang its on a short pigtail off the distibutor - like 2 inches from the cap.

on my '96 5.8 F350 its on the firewall next to the brake booster.

i'd imagine its gotta be one of those 2 spots on your '91 F250.

and 8mpg isn't terrible for your truck. do you have the C6 auto trans and 4.10 gears in your axles? if so, that mileage is probably about right. thats what my '86 did with that combination. drive over 60-65 mpg's and it gets even worse.....

3. james.j.smith

james.j.smith Senior Member
    from 19033

thanks for the respose I'll check the two spots and let you know what I find. I bought the truck a couple weeks agao and its not my daily driver but I'd hope I can get it a little bettwer but you may be right about the combination and I hear you on the 60 - 65 mph.