1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1991 ford 250 steering column/turn signals

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by james.j.smith, Nov 10, 2011.

1. james.j.smith

james.j.smith Senior Member
    from 19033

I have a couple issues going on and plan to spend tomorrow troubleshooting and repairing. Before I did I am lloking to learn from other peoples experience. I have a 1991 f250 in which I'm haveing steering column issues. The first 1 is that 1 of the three allen retainer screws fell out and is missing this make the steering whell wodely and the truck doesn't start unless I push the steering wheel up.

they don't make this assemble anymore but it only looks like a screww and a spacer so I was going to go to the parts store for a screw and make some type of spacer.

My horn stoped working at times but I think that this is only a contact issue.

My turn signals quite working. I replaced the relay last year. does anyone know if there is a fuse that might be bad or have any ides on what the problem mighyt be.

Ibecause of all these issues I'm debateing on buying a used steering column from creigslist and replacijng everything and hope for the best. I have never done this before does anyone have any tips or instructions.

any words of widon on any of the above issues would be great.

2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I think you need to just replace the whole assembly. Go to a bone yard and ripe one out of a similar truck. They should all be the same (year wise). You'll go crazy chasing each gremlin in that thing.

3. james.j.smith

from 19033

thats what I was thinking but I have never done it before and I don't believe that the repair book had that much detail. Do you know how hard it would be or what is required?

4. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Find the same column and it should be plug and play. Unbolt and unplug the old one and reverse the process. There really isn't much to them.

5. james.j.smith

from 19033

i found a non tilt that I'm told will work but I have a tilt with cruise control (that dosen't work) should that make a difference.

6. james.j.smith

from 19033

I undersatnd how to drom the column inside the cab, since i"ve done that before. what I'm unsure of is from the firewall to where it connects to make the wheels move.

7. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Plugs might be a little different. It should be easier to downgrade columns then upgrade them.

8. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

They are same non tilt and tilt will mount.

Cruise control you can pull off your and put on non tilt they have cruise control plug inside horn pad.

I did this on 95 F250 because it doesn't have cruise control and no fun drive on highway average 100-400 miles with your foot. Just pull horn pad and plug cruise control there.

I got from junkyard. Rebuilt these aren't worth my time and money.

9. james.j.smith

from 19033

What do you mean rebuilt, these aren't worth time or money?

10. Milwaukee

It little complaint to rebuilt those when you have no time to do and need TRUCK on road now so swap steering column only get you 30-40 mins.

11. james.j.smith

from 19033

is there any tricks I should know about connecting the gear shifter and steering box?

12. Milwaukee

Don't worry about shifter they use cable with link pop in shifter.

Steering box just leave that and unhook u-joint under brake pedal that how you get out.

13. james.j.smith

from 19033

Want do I need to unlock the u joint? Do I acess it from under the truck or thru the firewall. Working on getting a steering colum now for the morning

14. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

when you look at the top of the steering box, you will see a slip joint that has a lock bolt through it. remove that lock bolt, and the column will come off of the box.
    to remove the column from the truck, disconnect the shift indicator, and then remove the 6 or 8 bolts that hold it to the firewall. you will need to unplug the ignition switch and blinker switch wires, and disconnect the shifter before removing the column.then unbolt the 4 bolts from under the dash.
    when putting the column back in, you will need a helper to position the coupler over the steering box shaft so you can push it on. pay attention to steering wheel position before you bolt it together. it can go on 180 degrees off.
    then loosely put the 4 bolts in the dash, and put it all back together. the 4 dash bolts should be the last thing tightened, this will give you wiggle room to position things.

15. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

that is for 92 and newer. 91 and older the whole column comes out

16. james.j.smith

from 19033

thanks for all the help. I managed to get the turn signals and loos wheel fixed today without replacing the steering wheel. I was a little nervous about replacing the column and what other problems I might of ran into. seems. the only issues I have now are the flashers and horn. The flashers seem to be no power at the terminal not to mention three loose splices in the line prior to the steering column connector. i plan to fix that tomorrow by running a new power line to the flashers fuse. I'm replacing the yellow wire going into the fuse box at the flasher terminal with a fused wire to the battery. does this seem right? when I jumpered the wire to pwer my flahers worked.

My horn is another story. the connector at the end of the black wires that go into one of the puller bolt holes broke. I plan to put a new connector on in the morning and see if the horn works. Don't have much confidence since I tried touching the wires into the hole today and the horn dose't work. I know it's not a horn issue since I can get it to sound with the steering wheel off. My fall back plan is to put a horn button on the dash for inspections. Does anyone have any ides on what elese I could look at? Also where are the horns so that I can wire the button? I looked in the book and they say they are mounted on the radiator support but I can't find them.

thanks again for all the help, I've had the truck for two years and it doesn't seem like I have found all the gremlins yet. Also seems like every time I do something I find things that weren't done right.

17. james.j.smith

from 19033

I figured out the flasher and horn issue. I ran a new power line for the flashers and they are working and the horn I fixed the broken connection and was not tightening the steering wheel enough. once I got the steering wheel tighten right the horn worked. thanks for all the help