1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1991 F-250 stalls going into reverse and vacuum questions

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by james.j.smith, Dec 1, 2010.

1. james.j.smith

james.j.smith Senior Member
    from 19033

you wait a minute or two to shift it the truck is fine. The mechanic that I bought it off of says that its an old truck and I need to wait till the pressure builds up and equalize before shifting. Has anyone had a similar problem?

Additionally, i am planning on replacing all the vacuum lines in the truck since 1 broke last weekend causing the engine to stall. Also its idling a little rough and seems like there may be a vacuum leak. Does anyone know where I can find a vacuum line diagram so I can ensure that I get them all. Also do you know what size hoses do I need.

The tuck also seems to be getting bad gas mileage I plan to, replace the air filer, PCV valve, vacuum lines, air breather. Do you have any other suggestions that I may want to look at. I don't know what my miles per gallons haven't had the truck that long but i feel like I just watching the gas needle move.

2. mrv8outboard

mrv8outboard Senior Member

What engine? Check the transmission fluid level. It can cause the stalling on fuel injected Fords.

3. james.j.smith

from 19033

thanks I'll check my levels tomorrow, its a 5.8l 351 with the overdrive transmission. I've been told that there is a vacuum canister that may be affecting it. I just have to figure out where it is located and check the lines.

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The vacuum can is on the right side fender. Look at it and find it and I tell you how to fix it for cheap! The vacuum reservoir controls all the emission controls which effects the performance of the engine.

5. damian

damian Senior Member

verylow fluid level will cause engine stalling in your truck,lack it will cause converter clutch lock up for lack of opposing pressure this is a highly simplified explanation. good luck

6. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

you have the e40d transmission. the filter can drop on these into the pan, which can cause a stall when shifting into reverse. being it only happens when the truck is cold, this may not be the problem. but this would be a good opportunity to change your fluid and filter. its an easy job and the e4od's die primarily of 2 things - lack of regular fluid changes and high heat caused by lots of towing or abusive driving.

7. james.j.smith

from 19033

i haven't had a chance to check the transmission level but I plan to check all the fluids this weekend and either change them or bring them to the correct levels. I do think that I may have found the vacuum canister. Is it located by the battery and is visible just by opening the hood? . It has about three 1" to 1.5" hoses coming from it. There is hose on the bottom that is broken. does anyone know if this is the canister and if so where should the hoses go. when I put my han over the broken hose, it is pulling a vacuum but I cannot find the rest of the hose. I can try and upload a picture tomorrow.

8. james.j.smith

from 19033

The stallinghas gone away since last week but I checked my fluids and i am a little low on trans fluid i'll add more this week. Does it matter if I'm checking the fuid in park or should I be in nuetral?

From my previous post I’m trying to figure out some hoses. I’ve attached some pictures I believe I have an issue with the canisters in the pictures. I’ve tried to goggle for information but I haven’t been able to find any information. Any assistance would be great.

truck engine 1 vacuum canister.jpg

truck vapor canister.jpg

under canister.jpg

under canister 1.jpg

photo (5).jpg

9. james.j.smith

from 19033

one last picture

photo (8).jpg

10. MickiRig1

I think that's your vacuum reservoir. It stores vacuum to operate the emission systems. Mine had a large can for a reservoir. Should be a vacuum diagram somewhere under the hood. With out the reservoir intact you have a vacuum leak.

11. MickiRig1

The big hose looks like the air pump line. It feeds a manifold that feeds air into each side of the heads at the back of engine. It supplies air that feeds to the catalytic converter. It also may have a "muffler" on another hose. Some have it on the control valve.The system bleeds air when you back off on the gas. This keeps the exhaust from back firing. Some vacuum reservoirs and charcoal cansters are combined in a single piece too.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  12. james.j.smith

from 19033

I cant make out the diagram under the hood Do you know where I can find one?

13. MickiRig1

Look at Ford truck sites. I did run accross the diagrams on one site. But I can't remember which one.

14. DIRISHMAN

DIRISHMAN PlowSite Veteran

HEY ALL if I may make a suggestion i have an 96f250hd with a 5.8 351w theer is another site you can check If i can say so MICKI it's called ( FSB.COM) = FULLSIZEBRONCO.COM They a lot of info in regaurds to all Ford stuffas well as the engines and schemadics for alt.elec.amoungst other things give it it a try HOPE THIS IS A LITTLE BIT OF HELP THANKS DMACThumbs Up

GOOD LUCK LET US KNOW THE OUT COME

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  15. MickiRig1

I have that site to. The night I posted it I was having network problems. I could not get to the sites. AOL has sure gone down hill !

16. james.j.smith

from 19033

thanks for all your help, I've added some trans fluid and fixed a cople vacuum leaks and the problem has gone away (for now anyway). thanks again