1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1991 F-150 for home use

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Jblack, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Jblack

Jblack Junior Member

Hi everyone. I'm new to the plowing field and would love some advice on an potential truck I'm looking at. Basically I'm looking for a work truck (trips to homedepot, hauling wood, etc) and for it to be able to plow my 250' driveway.

There is a local 1991 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat 4X4 w/Fisher 7 1/2 Ft Heavy Duty Fisher Conventional Plow for sale at $2350, with 118000 miles on it. The body/frame appear decent, and she runs pretty good from what I could tell.

The price is right around blue book for our area, but will this truck be able to handle the job of our driveway, or am I asking for trouble in getting something so old? Since I've never plowed before I'm not sure what type of stress this puts on a vechile of this size/age.

Thanks so much!

2. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

Hmmmm....that's a toughy. Early F150's are very well built trucks. However, I'd like to know how many of those miles on that truck are with the plow on it.

If the plow was on there for only a season or 2, I'd be willing to take it to my mechanic. But if that truck was pushing snow for a few years already, I might be a little more hesitant.

Probably, the best thing would be to take it to a mechanic and have them look it over, top to bottom.

Let us know what you do.

3. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with you. You don't know how the truck was treated with the plow on all those years. Keep use posted.

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Be very careful with used plow trucks. You can get real deep, real quick with repairs.
    That's why my truck got the nick name " The Big Red Drain " from my Wife.
    With 118K on it the truck made need a lot of stuff replaced or the transmission has almost had it. But if you can wrench your own stuff and it's not a daily driver that you need to have available everyday. It is a great price, the plow alone is worth near that if it's in great shape.

5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Did you buy it?