1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1991 F-150 , Bad U-joint?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Plowformoney, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Plowformoney

Plowformoney Junior Member

1991 F-150 5.0L, Auto, 4x4, lift etc
    After pushing snow one night I noticed a sound comming from underneath the truck. I can also feel it in the floorboard.

When I accelerate, I hear a Clunk, Clunk, Clunk, Clunk, Clunk for about 3 sec.

I thought it was a u-joint, so to eliminate a little bit, I took the front driveshaft out. Still did it. Theres no noticable play on the front axle joints,
    or on the rear driveshaft near the differential. However there is very little play at the u-joint at the back of the transfer case, however its in the yoke. Theres no other issues other than the noise.

Is this my problem or could it be something else? Tranny? On these truck the transfer case just "floats" correct?

Thanks guys, sorry for the long post. Any help is appriciated!
  2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

It does not have to have any " Play " to make the noise.
    You could have a U-joint dry and its binding. Check all your fluids in your axles and transfer case too.Make sure all bolts and mounts are tight.
    Sometimes when it's really cold stuff makes noise and it warms up and you never hear it again.
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Does it do it only when the hub's are locked?
  4. Plowformoney

they are auto hubs, which will be replaced with Warn hubs soon.

It does it in 2wd and 4wd
  5. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Make certain you are in 2wd then make certain the hubs are indeed free by spinning the front axles at the steering knuckle. Now if the noise still happens, you have eliminated the front drive train and can focus on the rear only. If the front axles will not spin then you have a hub thats not unlocking. Depending on what wheelbase you have you might have a two piece rear drive shaft. Check the center bearing for play.
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Auto hubs + plow truck = clunk clunk :nod:
  7. Plowformoney

well I jacked up the truck and spun the front driveshaft with the transfercase in 2wd and both front tires spun..... so that means the auto hubs are junked?

So I just bought WARN lock-out hubs for it so Ill throw them in.
  8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Actually it means that their engaging like they should be.Auto hubs engage by the turning of the front end components (drive shaft,axles) when you pull the transfer case into 4WD. But they could be stuck in the engaged position or they could still be worn out internally and making the noises your hearing.Or if there stuck "in" and you have a problem in the front end (axle joint,spindle bearing) you'll still hear it while it's in 2WD since it's still spinning.
  9. Plowformoney

Alright thanks B&B,

I'll have to throw those new hubs in next week and see what happens.
  10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Money well spent,good idea to install the Warn's anyway on a plow truck.
  11. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

did you take a look at the bushings for the radius arms? They could also be worn out.