1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1991 Dodge 2500 CUMMINS DIESEL

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Sharpshooter77, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Sharpshooter77

Sharpshooter77 Senior Member

Well guys as the hunt for a diesel continues I have found a 1991 Dodge 2500, Cummins diesel, 4x4, 5 speed, With new tires and brakes, with a 8 foot fisher plow, This Truck doesnt have a spot of rust onit, well taken care of. The best thing is that it only has 78,000 original miles onit:redbounce, This truck looks to be in a lot better shape than the F-350 I was looking at. This would be my First Dodge and my First diesel Just trying to get the low down on these trucks durning those years. I have pics but there on my cell phone and I dont know how to get them off. But anyways guys let me know what you think I will be going this weekend to strike some kind of a deal.

2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

They are good trucks, do some reading on any of the Inline Diesel websites or Cummins Forums for more specialized information pertaining to the Gen I in particular.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2007
  3. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

what's the asking price for the truck? i have a 91 dodge with a cummins diesel in it. i love it, i get 18-20mpg driving it around. a weak point is the injection pump, it'll cost around $800-$900 to get the pump rebuilt not including labor to take it on and off. with 78,000 miles on it the pump probably hasn't been touched. usually somewhere around 100,000 miles , mine didn't go bad, but at 165,000 i swapped it for a rebuilt pump off a parts truck. if the truck has nice paint and no rust, i've seen these go for over $10,000 on ebay depending on condition and appearence and mileage. there is a 93 on ebay right now and last time i checked it was at $11,677 . so keep that in mind. any how if the price is good buy the dodge you'll get years of good service out of it. my .02 cents.

4. Kennedy81

Kennedy81 Senior Member

pre 91.5 were non intercooled, at 91.5 they started putting an intercooler in them, something to look for.
    Also, with that 5 speed you'll want to over fill it by about a quart to help it last.
    Be sure to add a good diesel additive with lubricant to every tank and you shouldn't have a problem with the injector pump for a good long while.

Check out the first gen forums at www.dieseltruckresource.com and www.cumminsforum.com for lots of good information and helpful people.

5. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

I also think there is a very rare problem with those 12 valves apparently there is a dowel pin that sometimes works itself loose inside the motor, and bad things could happen, but from what ive heard they make kits to stop this from happening. You should be fine though these problems are rare. Overall those are real good trucks, i know my 1984,1988 steered better than my 2001:D

6. Kennedy81

Kennedy81 Senior Member

The Killer Dowel Pin problem isn't as common on the first gens, but can still happen. There are some easy DIY fixes for it. If you go to one of the dodge diesel sites there should be a good write up in the FAQ.

7. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

If you don't buy it, can you forward me the info. on where it is please ???

Kirk