1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1991 chevy 2500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by milwaukeevtwin, Oct 8, 2010.

1. milwaukeevtwin

milwaukeevtwin Senior Member

Just bought this and trying to get it ready for plow season. It has no brake lights? Checked the fuse. Is ok. Where do i start. Thought you guys would like a few interior pics i have been working on. Came from a hog farmer. imagine the smell. It is gone now. Thanks, for any help

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  2. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

The first thing you want to check is the socket. Apply the brake with something and use a 12volt tester to check for power, i've seen people spend hours trying to fix lights only to find out both bulbs were burned out! lol. But chances are your brake switch is out of adjustment or bad. Stick your head under the dash and look at the brake pedal, there will be a little black box with a little push button swith touching the metal arm of the brake pedal. Check for power there and you may need to adjust the push button out a bit, be careful, adjust it too far out and your brake lights will be on all the time and your torque converter wont lock up.
  3. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

First thing to check would be if you have power going to the brake like switch under the dash. If so, then push down on the brake peddle and check for power at the other side. If power there, Check both of your brake light bulbs and see if they are burned out. After that, Check the socket for the bulbs with a test light. Beyond that, there is a plug in your harness for your tail lights on the drivers side frame rail, right at the cross member by the rear bumper, start chasing for a break in the wiring there....
  4. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

cheack the brake switch had problems with mine, replaced it and adjusted it and had no problems so far. they are like 10 bucks if i recall.
  5. milwaukeevtwin

Thanks, Guy's That is what i needed to here. No comments on the interior pictures. LOL I thought i would get some luv. I will let you know what i find out. Thanks, Ron
  6. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Man that interior turned out great! I thought the first pics were the finished ones the way you were talking and I was gonna say I'd hate to seen it before! Lol. Nice job for sure. Now come clean mine :D

Check all your grounds on that circuit also if its not the switch. Sockets themselves can also burn from the heat not allowing the power thru.
  7. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

Did you replace the carpet or just clean it up?
  8. milwaukeevtwin

New carpet, Headliner and material on all the plastic. Dash cover with seats off of ebay. I will post pictures of the finished product when i get it back together and when it comes back from having the tranny rebuilt. thanks, Guy's
  9. milwaukeevtwin

Well two days of frustration. A light tester and some neck pain. Finally found a white wire coming from the stering column That plugs into the harness that goes to the brake light switch was bad. Cut it put in a jumper and presto. I was ready to take it in, but kept driving me nuts and could not sleep. Problem fixed. Thanks, Ron:mechanic: