1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1991 3500 lights problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Jay brown, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

1991 3500 headlights and running lights will not come on untill they are turned on for 5-15 minutes....when they finally do come on and i turn them off they will come back on no problems.....is this problem in the switch or is there something i need to know? thanks, jay
  2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Had that same issue on my 94 2500. Turned out to be the headlight switch was bad. Overheated the thing and wouldnt work. New switch and you should be good to go. Is it the 91 of the 88-98 Chevy trucks, or still the 73-87 Chevy?? I know you could still get the old style 3500 in 91 like the subs and blazers. That would probably make a difference as to what the issue may be
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  3. Jay brown

it's of the newer style. thanks for the help!!

4. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

That body style truck is notorious for headlight switch failures. I used to carry a spare switch with me when my truck was on-road.
  5. Jay brown

thinking back, it all started when a new plow guy ran the headlights and the plow lights at the same time...i just wired the plow lights up to the running lights. probably got too hot...
  6. marylandbigb

marylandbigb Member

check the headlight switch connector also see if it is melted they were notorious for that especially if u r running the plow lights through the switch