1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1990's 4x4 - which one ? to get

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Grass_n_Trees, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Grass_n_Trees

Grass_n_Trees Junior Member

I've been looking at all sorts in the local classifieds, dodge, GMC, 1990 to 1999, lots to choose from.

Any truck I'm looking at has a plow already on it. Some thoughts before I go get one.

Does a 1995 dodge 4x4 have bad a transmission ? no idea if it does but you know what I mean.

Thanks folks.

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

What are you going to plow. (I know snow). wallmart or sidewalks
  3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Your starting to babel in the questionable transmission era.

What is it 96 to 2000?
    They work fine they just will not take any abuse or over weight trucks.
  4. Grass_n_Trees

Grass_n_Trees Junior Member

driveways and the odd bank, I just thought that possibly a certain year or model was a stay away kinda truck
  5. dirtmandan2

dirtmandan2 Senior Member

Give me any 1 of the 3 and im sure i can break it... All im saying is put a plow on it and wait till theres 6" on the ground and surely something is going to break, so in my opinion i'd rather have to fix a chevy...
  6. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

like it was said above...i rather fix a chevy any day. chevys have pretty good engine and trans.
  7. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Chevy ford or dodge 3/4 ton will all get the job done. They will also all break every truck has it weak spots preventative maintainence is key.
  8. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

No matter what you buy its going to have issues. Overall I have had good luck with my 2 Dodge diesels one being an 01 and the other an 03.
    My 1995 Ford has been plagued with little issues since I bought it but overall also a good truck
  9. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

For driveways Jeeps a 3/4 ton in a driveway is like using a an 8 gang tractor in a 1/4 acre lot, can you do it Yes, would a push mower be easier and faster probably.
    (yes i've used an F150 in driveways same size as a 3/4 and the jeep is much faster.)
    faster means I can do more driveways more driveways = more payup.
    The right tool for the job.
  10. ScnicExcellence

ScnicExcellence Senior Member

i am buying a 1990 gmc 2500 with a 7.5 foot meyers plow tomorrow for $1000 the guy used it for his driveway and it had a plow on it when he bought it, the things wrong with the truck is the door is shot and needs a new one on the drivers side. and the trannys is slipping realy badly. so i pay $1000 for truck and $500 for tranny and i have myself a plow truck. it all depends how handy you are and what you are willing to fix on the truck you buy or are willing to fix in the near future, remember that the older the truck the more likely it is to break and stay away from dodge unless it is a standard auto's and not the strongest. gmc and chev are good trucks. and the 2500 series pickups are good because when you do decide to go do some commercial then you can.
  11. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

if the trans is a 700r4 then it prob is slipping. so far on my truck i have replaced the frt axles, the intake, raditator, plugs wires, cap rotor, brake lines, brake hoses, master cylinder, tires, rear axle seals, the transmission, hoses, blower motor, heatercore, etc. the list goes on. i paid 1000 for the truck and another 1600 for my plow setup. and then all the money into the truck. i did all the work myself expect for the transmission b.c i didnt have time to replace it myself. if i could do it again i would have bought a newer truck and spent the extra money, things break no matter what but a newer truck would have been nice.
  12. ScnicExcellence

ScnicExcellence Senior Member

yeah newer is better in cases but i am paying only 1000 for the truck and plow and plow is worth that alone it is a 7.5' western plow with the unimount. in working condition, the truck needs rockers and cab corners and brakes and tranny looking at total about $1000 to put the truck on the road.