1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1990 Suburban

Discussion in 'Used Plowing and Truck Equipment Forum' started by Peopleeater, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

I am putting my 1990 Suburban 1500 4x4 up for sale. It only plowed twice this winter, and 5 times I believe last winter for me. Was purchased from original owner who had a few small accounts and driveways. No Plow as I installed it on new truck. 350 motor uses oil, was told it was valve seals by prev. owner? I was just going to rebuild when the need arose. Still runs good though. Had the tranny rebuilt the middle of last winter. Brakes done last fall. I did put a tune up on it last year some time, but forget exactly when (wires, cap, rotor). New water pump and new Warn Premium Locking Hubs. The front U joints need to be replaced (I believe) but the 4 wheel drive does work. Rockers and quarters have rust. Tailgate power window does work. JVC CD/MP3 player installed by best buy in spring '04. The frame on the truck is still solid. Other than the u-joints and oil issues, the truck works great. New wheel bearing at time of brake job.

I was going to try to hang onto it for a possible back-up truck for next season, but am forced to sell because of monetary reasons. I am asking 3500 obo.

I'll try to get some pics up later today. If anyone is interested, or wants specific pics, just post here and I'll check later today. I may have forgotten to list something also, so maybe I'll think of something later?

Thanks,

Jeff

P1010033small.jpg

Last edited: Mar 22, 2005
  2. Peopleeater

Another

I will post more of interior.

P1010034small.jpg

3. Peopleeater

This is the last one for now.

P1010035small.jpg

4. Peopleeater

I forgot that everyone can't PM. In case anyone is interested and wants to shoot me an offer, my email address is jeffdemler@hotmail.com

Thanks
    Jeff

5. Peopleeater

Pricing Help

I know the price of the truck is listed a little high, but wanted to know if anyone can give me any constructive advice on what a price for this vehicle would be. I made the mistake of recently selling a car for too little, and would like to find a fair market value for this vehicle. I had calls on that vehicle for a month and a half after the sale and the ad was ended in the paper. I still honored the ad and knocked 50 bucks off cause I stated OBO, and it went to first guy who looked at it. I didn't want to start a bidding war.

Kelly Blue book listed this Suburban at like 2800 (i forgot now) in the second to lowest category, as the lowest would not give me a price. This is the reasoning I used to determine my starting point as I have done quite a bit of stuff to it, and some of it was fixed, and the vehicle basically driven home and parked. I can always go down in price, but now back up.

I may just do the Ebay thing, but would like any input that anyone could give.

Thank you,

Jeff

6. motorider000

motorider000 Senior Member

Hmmm.........could this money be going towards a new semi trailer?

7. Peopleeater

Moto,

No, actually it is to help pay off the newer one, and to help us get by til the real money starts coming in. I am actually contemplating giving it up at the end of the season due to increased fuel prices, too much overhead with not enough of a return, and maybe a little with what happened last year, but am getting legs under me again finally! I was wanting to keep it as a back up for next year, but am forced to sell (wife and money).

I want to start a business where I am the one in control of my income, and not having to rely on my broker for my success. I don't even have control over where I go, only IF I go. In my opinion it is kind of a borderline employee/contractor thing, but that is different story all together. I want to be in control over mine and my family's future, or at least more in control. Got the go ahead from wife to stop trucking now, but need money from this season to make a try at the other. It isn't snowplowing either in case that was next guess, although I may have to still supplement the winters with that, at least until the other takes off in a couple of years. Something to do with Real Estate, but not selling it either.

The trailer would be nice, as it would pay for itself most likely this year, and extra tax write offs, but as I mentioned, I want out. The IL state cops are going to be all over us this year due to toll increases, and trucks avoiding them and taking backroutes. Way too much hassle, more than just having a business. Plus it is one of the more dangerous professions, and not a very healthy one due to sitting all day. Also, the way people think we are just BIG cars, and can manuever around their stupid a@&#%! Don't know if I could live with myself if something happened and someone died because of how I make money. Not to mention it is ALWAYS the trucks fault. (liability)

Any advice on a price? It would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
    Jeff

Last edited: Mar 27, 2005
  8. motorider000

Peopleeater,
    Just a thought but you may be able to make more money running a couple smaller rigs?? That should equal smaller jobs for homeowners and small companies in which you would have more controll. What about the excavating business? You already have some of the equipment to haul the stuff. That would mean less time on the road but you wouldn't be out of the business completely.

9. motorider000

peopleeater,
    I would start your truck at 2900 and take 2500 for it. I was playing around on www.kbb.com and seeing what it came back as. If i were you I would try something like Illinois Auto and Rv magazine. It is a good $25 investment for the ad. I am putting my old truck in there tonight.

10. Peopleeater

Thank you

Would be perfectly happy with that price. But the CD player would come out and replaced with Stock, but kind of figured that would be the rate, but just wanted to test the waters.

Kind of funny, had a kid stop by very excited and needs it to move to NY this week! :) Was on the way out, and told the truth about all problems I am aware of. Also about what I have into it, which is about 4000, but like I said need the cash. We were on way out for Easter, and he was supposed to call back around 5 or 6, but never got a call :( Am hoping he will call tomorrow or next day.

For now the only places advertised are my front lawn, here, and another unmentionable place. Will pay starting next week either Ebay or ...?

Where did the smilies go?

Thanks for the advice Moto,

Jeff

11. motorider000

Peopleeater,
    Just an FYI I have not had ANY good luck on EBay lately. Plus they just raised their rates and now they charge the crap out of you. I used to be an avid EBay seller but as far as i am concerned it has gone down the tubes. Just my opinion though. I think you would be much better of with some local / state ads (about $25 each).

P.S.
    I just listed my truck at www.autorv.com

12. motorider000

Another P.S.
    GM says that these motors burning 1 quart of oil every 3000 miles is not excessive.

13. Peopleeater

Excavation

I would love to do something like excavation. I have a buddy that also drives, and we would both like to do something like that, but he is happy enough driving and with his plowing bus. Him and my other buddy have a gravy contract for snow and salt, and that place they do is opening another place. They thought about giving me one of their "spare accounts", which they are still undecided on. If they do, I would jump at that chance to have that for myself. Would be right next to them in case I needed a bobcat, or if my truck breaks, they have spares, and a Big Farm tractor about a mile from their gravy contract. Plus, they don't make AS much with that one, and want to devote all their time to the gravy, as the new one will be open next season. Would still be a drive, but benefit of spare equipment would outweigh that.

As for running smaller stuff, or going out on my own with that stuff. It is too much grief, liability, capital, fuel prices, license plates, and if the money didn't flow right away, would be too much debt. Although, if it took off right away, would be good income. Still seasonal though. Get back to me next snow season and maybe I will be able to tell you more, as I should have it up and running by then. Will attend classes in the end of summer or fall, better earlier than later. Will take two weeks off for that to attend the classes (2500-3000) Will start the other business slow, and expect it to be slow for a year or three, but after that I anticipate it really taking off. I am going to do my own website, brochures, business cards, maybe a smaller enclosed trailer (personal bene there too for the ATV), and am hoping to letter it myself as I have checked that and was surprisingly reasonable. Thought about Landscaping, and actually could have bought a route from an established guy, but that market is saturated around here. Besides this one will be less overhead than landscaping. Also, only 1 employee, ME. Wife for paperwork. We just gotta hope for a good trucking year, or at least an OK one. She gave me the go ahead immediately, but we need the truck money. Plus, I get to sell the truck and use that money also (hopefully 10-12k). If I have enough to wait it out and keep the truck til spring of next year, I should be able to get more than just before winter. Insurance will cost a bit, but shouldn't be more than license plates for the truck. I just need to do quality jobs for return business (about a 7 year cycle, but that is hearsay as I haven't checked that out yet), a few more tools, some networking and getting my name out there, and maybe some other creative marketing methods. Am looking at it in the long term though. If my research is correct so far, the money would start to flow nicely 3rd or 4th year. Am going to keep researching all summer on another forum unrelated to plowing, (the posters answered a lot of my questions in just one thread.

Gotta get a good year in trucking this year with no mishaps or major breakdowns so we can get wife's car, and my truck paid off, then she will make more than enough to cover us til I am up and running. Is nice to have a wife making good money and having the benefits, (even though I am not covered by her health ins.). That is a story in and of itself

Ok, enough for now, thanks for advice, now I am going to crash (long day)

Jeff