1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1990 Suburban or 95 Z71?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Peopleeater, Jan 28, 2005.

Which truck to keep?

Poll closed Feb 4, 2005.
  1. 1990 Suburban

2 vote(s)
  2. 1995 Silverado Z71

3 vote(s)
  3. Both, one for spare

1 vote(s)
  4. Neither

2 vote(s)
  1. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

I just bought a 95 Z71 ext cab 1/2 ton. 117000 miles. very nice shape. only minor surface rust starting under door.

1990 Suburban 1/2ton. Plows like a monster. Never a problem with plow or electric system. Truck aging and needing motor. Tranny rebuilt last year. 145000 on it now.

Here is the question. The suburban never let me down in terms of the plow working. Truck itself has twice now. Tranny once and coolant problems (leaks, water pump). Nursed the tranny for two storms b4 it went completely on way to shop for rebuild.

Ok, I posted the problems in a different thread that i am having with plow on new truck. New optima red top didn't fix anything. Alt. OK.

Should I keep the old suburban and fix motor and rust that is about to ruin a great truck. Or should I stay with the new one. I always hate getting rid of a great vehicle. Especially when the one to replace it is already having probs.
  2. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Unless your plan is to have two trucks, one being a spare, I'd get rid of both of them and put the dough into one newer and nicer truck. I love Suburbans, I had a 99 2500 LT Diesel that was about as sweet as they get, but I just didn't like the detroit diesel, it's crap against a Cummins or a Powerstroke. The z71 is nice too, if you're a GM man.
    Anyway, my point is instead of two trucks you have to keep sinking money into, maybe you could have one truck that'd be more reliable. Instead of 2 90 somethings, how about a 2000 or an 01'? JMO. Good luck.
  3. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Rebuild the motor in the 'Burban. Cheap and easy to do. Solid axle trucks are beefier, and still very simple to work on.

Neither truck is new, so expect repairs along the way--just remember that those repairs are likely less than monthly payments on a new truck.
  4. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i wish they still made stepside z71 truck with 350 motor