1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1990 Pickup Rear Window Windshield Wiper Assembly

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by wsmm, Feb 9, 2013.

1. wsmm

wsmm Member

Has anyone ever rigged up a windshield wiper blade for the read window of a pickup. I'm getting tired of constantly having snow or moisture block my rear view when I'm backing up. If you have devised a system, other than getting out every so often to clean it by hand please let me know.
  2. mikes-plow

mikes-plow Senior Member

what happened to your side mirror's? sound like an expensive, odd project.:confused:
  3. wsmm

wsmm Member

Sdieview Mirrors

They're not heated so they buildup with snow ad ice the sme as the rear window. Also passenger side mirror is a long reach from dirver's seat. My arms aren't quite hat long.
  4. mikes-plow

mikes-plow Senior Member

now that i cant stand! i've got an '04 2500hd and i'm looking to upgrade to the newer tow haul mirrors and put power to them some how so i can have heated mirrors. could care less about having power mirrors but i want the heat for sure
  5. Winter warlock

Winter warlock Junior Member
    from toronto

What kills me is it's a plow truck it's ordered for plowing snow you think they have heated Mears and heated Glass
  6. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Someone here has a rear wiper on all his pickups, he used the rear wiper from a Range Rover if I remember correctly
  7. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

You can buy heating grid and put on the glass Works like rear defroster
  8. 'Rude Dog

'Rude Dog Member

Just put in a rear slider window... put one in my 1989 k2500 reg. cab- also helps cool off the cab- always gets too warm when plowing... just a thought...
  9. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

You guys must get some really bad storms out there, as once my truck is warmed up, I don't have those issues of the windows freezing up.

Prior to every storm, I use RAIN-X on all the exterior glass, including the mirrors. I never get any real build up on the surfaces which the rainx is on...

Cheap and it works very well, although you really need to re-do it after each storm to make it work effectively.
  10. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I think if I was gonna set up one of these, I'd use an electric wiper kit for a boat. Compact, self contained, easy to mount, and under $100 brand new!
  11. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Go to an RV store or good parts store and buy a quality 12V plug in 6" oscillating fan with a clip. Clip it to the hand bar above passenger seat for reg. cab or on the hanger hook for ext cab pointed at rear window.

Problem solved Thumbs Up
  12. derekbroerse

Is this stuff still available somewhere? I picked up a rear window defroster kit (of this style) a long time ago for a few bucks at a flea market, but the box looks like it was printed in the 70's... a little afraid to use it, to be honest...
  13. derekbroerse

I had this set up in my 3/4 ton last winter when the defroster flaps quit moving. Worked really well for foggy moisture from wet clothing...

Hint: Check the scrap yard for old school buses, most had at least two of em and can be had for next to nothing since no one needs bus parts...