1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1990 k2500 no 4wd

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by geta4x4, Feb 6, 2006.

1. geta4x4

geta4x4 Junior Member

First need for 4wd this year and it won't engage. When I put in 4 wheel high or 4 wheel low nothing happens, no light and no front drive. I searched other posts to get an idea of the problem and this is what I have done to troubleshoot so far.

I checked the front drive shaft and it is turning while driving.
    With the front wheels off the ground (key on and in 4 wheel high) I can turn both front wheels.
    Checked voltage at thermal actuator and there is no power.
    Brown wire under carpet that goes through the floor at shifter is +12v.

What part on transfer case sends the power to the thermal actuator?

If I put on a manual actuator with other part not working will I cause damage?
    Thanks for any help.

2. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

It's likely just your thermal actuator.

You can buy a new one (they are slightly improved since the '90 era ones), or you can buy a manual one.

Your shifter mechanically locks the T-case.

With truck in PARK, and T-Case lever pulled back to 4x4, you are unable to spin the front driveshaft by hand, correct? If you can spin it, your T-case is the problem.

3. Jerryjks

Jerryjks Junior Member

Did you check the fuse ?

4. geta4x4

geta4x4 Junior Member

With truck in park and in 4 wheel high I can not turn front drive shaft. The two fron half shafts turn freely with front wheels off the ground. I have no power to the actuator. Fuse is ok. If I put in a manual actuator on and the switch or relay in transfer case is bad will this damage the transfer case?

5. lorentzlawnsnow

lorentzlawnsnow Senior Member

it won't damage your t-case the only thing that will be different is the light showing the front wheels are engaged won't come on.

6. stritzy

stritzy Junior Member

I would test the two wire switch on the top of the transfercase by jumpering the two wires together then check for power on wires to front actuator. I had that switch go bad on my truck this year

7. geta4x4

geta4x4 Junior Member

Thanks for all the help. I hard wired in a switch to the thermal actuator and 4wd now works. The 4wd light also works there must be a switch in the front differential to control the light. I will wait for better weather to find out where the original problem was, probably tcase switch, relay, or wiring. :waving: