1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1990 International with 10' plow

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by MatthewG, Aug 11, 2010.

1. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

I am only thinking about buying this truck, below is what the seller has to say:

The Truck is a 1990 international 4600. it has the 7.3 liter v8 diesel . It pulled a trailer with my 17,000 lb excavator with ease. the truck has an allison automatic transmission. it has a gvw of 26,000 under CDL so it can be driven by anyone, disc brakes all around, replaced less than 1000 miles ago, 6 like new tires with less than 2000 miles on them ( they were new tires not recaps). The truck comes with a power angle 10' snowplow and a tailgate sander. The truck runs good and I would not hesitate to drive it anywhere. On the bad side, it is not pretty, we used to call it ugly betty The box is a bit rusty, but usable, If I had stayed in the construction business I would have given her a new box and a paintjob. I am asking $4500 OBO I need to get it sold I can no longer keep it where it is being stored and I am no longer in the business and have no need for the truck.

What would you do???

10plow.jpg

truck1.jpg

2. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I don't know about in your area, but around here that truck would not be worth $4500. Maybe the seller is correct and it is just cosmetic, but you know there will be a bunch of mechanical problems as well. If your ready to dump some money into then I'd shoot him an offer of $3000 at best and see where he's at with it. Just be prepared for this to not be a turn key truck.

3. chs1993

chs1993 Senior Member

Did I miss how many miles the truck has on it?

4. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

That thing looks like a POS. Offer him 2gs.

5. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

For that price, I would gues 7. :laughing:

Goodluck Bossman

6. MatthewG

Seller said under 100,000 miles

7. DeereFarmer

Se if he'll do $4000 with the trailer too.

8. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Paint is nothing long as the engine is ok and the trani. a 7.3 in those trucks is not a strong engine not like the DT466. But if there are no major oil leaks a coat of paint and a little welding on the bed you have your self a nice money makes for the winter. try going for $3,500 see if he bits on that .looks like he nneds to move it from what he said .

9. MatthewG

Seller wants 4,000 claims the new tires/brakes and condition other than the box are worth it, im skeptical

Thanks for all the replies...

10. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

It's worth $4,000 all easy IMO.

11. streetscrapin16

streetscrapin16 Senior Member

Not worth $4500 tell him to throw the trailer in for $4000

12. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

I couldn't agree more with this. I can't even fathom how a 7.3 with an Allison would pull a 17,000 excav. + trailer with ease. Probably only 175 HP max?

On the other hand, it would be a great starter truck in that class..........

13. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

It doesn't need to be pretty to make money as long as its is Mechanically sound, and the Hydro's are strong, and don't leak alot on the tailgate sander and blade attachements it's worth $4000 easily. read it had new brakes and new tires on it that right there is well worth close to $2,500, an as long as the tailgate sander we have 3 old state L8000 single axsels 30K GVRW trucks. not the prettest looking trucks but they make big $$ when it come to our sanding operations, an all have the old 11' front blades and the 8' bellies on them to help out on pushing our large lots before kicking them out on to our sanding routes. really don't need a $50+ brand new truck for a starter truck like most on here want you to do. As log as you put a good driver in it that will not ram an jam on it you'll have yourself a nice starter truck.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  14. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

i had a major brake system overhaul on my 6500 and it was close to 3500 bucks parts and labor ......so depending on how much brake work was done on the truck that asking price isnt bad at all espicially considering 6 tires for that truck are worth 1200 alone and it comes with a 10 foot plow:rolleyes::rolleyes: JMO

15. clydebusa

clydebusa Member

Call your insurance rep and price insurance. And then go drive the thing. I agree a little clean up and paint and who knows.

16. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

I'd take the auto trans out and put it in a friends 6 speed truck like that. :whistling:

17. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

I would go drive it and check the frame out real good and go from there.....

18. LON

LON Senior Member

look real close at the front cab mounts and firewall as rust is a real issue in the era truck. 7.3 & auto is not a combo I would look for.

19. MatthewG

I just thought Id let you know how things turned out since I posted this. After talking with the seller some more, I thought it best to stay away. I could clearly see the cab corner rot, but yet he failed to "remember" it had any. Since im not handy with a welder or super handy in auto mechanics I figured Id pass. This was also not the only thing he seemed to "forget", plus insurance was a little much. I'll look for a 2005 ford or newer with a larger plow for the parking lots. Maybe a XLS. :drinkup:

Thanks for the replies.

20. DeereFarmer

I think you made a good decision man. You'd have to be pretty handy or have a big check book to keep that running.