1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1990 fuel pressure

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by roteye38, Nov 28, 2010.

1. roteye38

roteye38 Member

on my 1990 5.7 checked the fuel pressure it goes up to 13 pounds when i turn the key on when the pump shuts off the pressure goes right down to 0 when i start it up and let run it stay at 13 idlies good feels sluggish when in drive and under a load

2. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

It should be around 35 psi. if I'm not mistaken but either way you need a fuel pump.

3. roteye38

roteye38 Member

chiltons says 9-13 pounds

4. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

I stand corrected 12-15 says Google and you, if you have an Advance Auto near you the will scan it to see if there are any codes.

5. 03silverado

03silverado Junior Member

Yes, 9-13 is correct. It should hold pressure for a while. Under hard acceleration driving down the road, what is your pressure?

6. roteye38

roteye38 Member

pressure stays at 13 at idle didnt drive it to see

7. 03silverado

03silverado Junior Member

Drive it and see. I will bet either plugged filter, or pump that can make the pressure but not keep up with the volume. If it drops under 8 while driving, get a new filter and retry. If it still drops, new pump time.