1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1990 ford f-250 5.8

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by miltonplower, May 10, 2009.

1. miltonplower

miltonplower Senior Member
    from ontario

hi i just bought a 1990 ford f-250 5.8 with a 8.5 western v plow and was wondering how long do these truck's last(the engines/transmissions) never had a 5.8 what should i look out for etc.

2. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

How many miles? Pics? Longevity is proportional to maintenance. Do you know the maintenance history of the truck? Smell the oil and trans dipstick- note the fluid color of each. Rust is the big killer on those trucks (most Fords). Hows the rust?

3. miltonplower

from ontario

well most of the body is ok execpt the bed (will be replaced) it's got 175000kms no pic's yet it's been used as a work truck one owner and was taken care of. rusty floor's door's and the front end is good.

4. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

So if my math is correct she's got about 109,000 ussmileyflagmiles on her. Exhaust manifolds, trans, freeze out plugs, u-joints are good things to keep an eye on. If not done recently change every fluid and filter you can and load er' up with grease and fluid film. I had a 97 F250 with the 5.8- good truck- did anything that was asked of it. Sold it just as the rust was digging in under the hood; 99,000 mi. Good luck with her and post some pics when you can.:drinkup:

5. miltonplower

from ontario

will do fluid's already changed same with the filter's got the pow off today and the bed to started on the floor's but should be a good farm truck.

6. tim096

tim096 Senior Member
    from wny

Ck the spark plugs, they love to break on the 5.8 I pull mine out everyyear and change them also check the oil pan for rot. My truck has 158,000 mi still a work horse. the front axle tty50 is a weak link for plowing. The housing breaks . Easy swap to a dana 60 thu.