1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1990 Chevy Silverado 1t 4x4

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by kingriver, Dec 31, 2005.

1. kingriver

kingriver Senior Member
    from alaska

Any suggestions need alittle help. Heres the deal !!!! Could this be alternator ??
    When I first start the truck up the interior lights flicker, not massively, just enough that you notice and the alternator gauge in the dash also fluctuates. Only does it for afew seconds then is fine after running a minute or so. The alternator is almost new put it on in October. Thought it could be head-light switch but its not on when it does it. I unplugged all of the rear lighting just to eliminate that area, didn't help. I'm almost ready to install new alternator just to see if it goes away,, what do you guys think.. :cool:

2. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

is it a diesel by any chance? If so, I know exactly what it is. Mine does it too.

3. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

It could be a ground ???:confused:

4. kingriver

kingriver Senior Member
    from alaska

Well when it first happened that was my first thought also, since then I have traced down grounds and re-did them if they appeared bad. Then I thought that I could have put to much die-electric on connectors to rear lights and some how it was making a contact so I blew out any xtra. Unplugged rear connectors to lights /started / same problem. (ELIMINATED THAT POTENTIAL AREA) Since I was under truck I took the time to check out and replace if bad any connections running aft USING heatshrink butt connectors. Then I checked connections under the hood in the fuel pump relay box, all appeared to be clean and tight. Leads me back to my original question, REMEMBER THAT THE GAUGE IN THE DASH CLUSTER SHOWS THE SLIGHTEST CHANGE WHEN DRAWN UPON UNTIL THE ALTERNATOR CAN COMPENSATE FOR THE LOAD.....SO BACK TO MY ORIGINAL QUESTION,, COULD THIS BE ALTERNATOR ???:cool: :cool:

5. kingriver

kingriver Senior Member
    from alaska

gas 454 v-8 gas guzzlerrrrrrrrrr
    what was it that yours did for future references ???

6. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

glow plugs continuing to cycle for a minute after it starts. Takes so much juice it bends the voltage gauge needle way down and dims the lights. Does it a few times until the regulator decides you don't need the glow plugs anymore. Well, I'm reasonably certain that isn't you're problem. Bummer, I thought I had it nailed. good luck

7. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I've had similar trouble with my '90 S15. Except it got a lot worse... to the point of killing the battery.

I tried connections, adding ground cables, replacing alternator (a second time under warrenty yoo)etc. The only place I haven't been into was the dash cluster area. I came to the conclusion that water leaking from my windshield must be corroding my cluster or something.

I bypassed it all by making my own charging harness. Worked great, brighter lights, faster wipers, etc.

Then, the SOB problem came back. Can't figure that out! It is a stand-alone harness directly to the fusebox and alternator. Right now it is only happening for the first few minutes after startup on an extremely cold or wet morning. Then it is gone.

I'm frustrated with it. The only reason I used the fusebox was to gain keyed-on 12V. Obviously the problem remains upstream somewhere. In the meantime, I am ignoring it until it becomes a bigger problem again.

8. trinitygrove

trinitygrove Member

Check the connections on the battery, My 90 k1500 had a similar problem last week. Check the bolts on the alternator as well, this was an issue with mine that was causing a funny noise as well as causing a power surge for a split second when the truck was idling. My mechanic suggested getting my 105 amp alternator beefed up to 130 amps. Good luck!

9. kingriver

kingriver Senior Member
    from alaska

Problem Seems Resolved Att

Well this morning went to the shop, started the truck and the same thing, so I removed the alternator and took it to SHUCKS since I had just purchased it there two months ago, the guy puts in on the tester and says everything seems fine. I tell him that their is a problem, we argue alittle then he decides since I frequent his store to warranty the thing. Anyway I go put it on and sure enough the problem goes away, internal regulator I expect acting up. Thanks for all the suggestions guys:cool: :cool: