1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1990 Chevy k2500 problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by red07gsxr, Oct 30, 2008.

1. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

when i put the lights on i dont have any tail lights, no brakes no running lights. just happened. need some help. when the lights are off i have brake lights. need help asap

2. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Check for corrosion inside your trailer plug. I had that happen to me last year. Theres other things it might be, like corrosion inside the tallight housings, but it caught my eye because the exact same thing happened to me. I looked out one night and saw my brakelights on, thought someone was trying to steal it. Looked in my trailer plug a couple times and didn't see anything, then realized when I touched it it was smokin' hot. Took it apart and found corrosion had caused a wire to short against the brake light wire.

3. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

there not on all the time, they work when i use the brake. but when i put the lights on i have nothing. wit the lights on even if i push the brake pedal i get nothing. whenthe lights are off i have brake lights. no running lights though

4. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Oh, my bad, I thought you meant the brake lights were on all the time. If your brake lights work UNLESS the running lights are on, I'd say it is interference somewhere in the taillights themselves. Or could still be in the trailer plug. I lost my headlight switch once too, but I don't think that's your problem since it would not involve the brake lights. Check your trailer plug, then try removing the taillights and unplugging the bulbs.

5. bharry20

bharry20 Senior Member

sounds like a bad ground to me. check the one at the back under the bed.

6. Willy-D8

Willy-D8 Member

X2 on bad ground.

Had a similiar situation with my brake lights working only when they felt like it. Clean the ground and grease it with dielectic grease as a starting point.

7. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

where exaclty is this ground so i can have a idea where it should be. i kno under the bed but location would be helpful

8. Farm Boss

Farm Boss Senior Member

Do you have dash lights?

9. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

yes i am pretty sure i do...

10. bharry20

bharry20 Senior Member

the ground is usually near the end of the frame rail on the drivers side.

11. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

I just fixed the same problem on my Acura. It turned out that on the right tail light bulb had corrorsion in the socket and must have been grounding through one of the terminals. It only happened when the running lights were on. Check the sockets for corrosion and clean them. It solved my problem. Also as well as the trailer plug, check the T connector if you have one.

12. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

i am going to drive the truck to work tomarrow and check the ground. my headlights and dash light work just fine. just no tail lights. i have brake lights only when t elight are off but when i turn the lights on nothing....

13. natueboy

natueboy Junior Member

check every bulb

Hey check al the bulbs, this one use to get our mechanic at least once every two years, and typicaly it was a two way bulb, one side crossing over the other and shorthing everything out. Just a thougt. Im no mechanic. Good Luck

14. bharry20

bharry20 Senior Member

he isn't complaining of blowing fuses so nothing is shorting out. the ground simply isn't good enough to ground everthing at once. just a little at a time.

15. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

When my bulbs were shorting out the fuse was not blowing. I guess there was not enough draw to blow it in my case

16. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

bad ground...i replaced the broken ground strap and put some fluid film to stop rust build up. all fixed. thanks for the input guys