1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1990 chevy k-10 4wd inop.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by intimidator, Nov 12, 2001.

1. intimidator

intimidator Member

I've got a 90 chevy 1/2 ton that doen't know if its a 4wd or 2wd. The light by the shifter for the 4wd says its in 4wd, but the front end isn't getting the message. Sometimis it works, but most of the time when you really need it, it doesn't. I've ben told its probably that doohicky that screws into the front end to the right of the diff. but i have no idea how to check it Any input would be greatly appreciated. (I'm a ford mechanic by trade, Chevy driver by choice, except for the wifes Explorer, gotta keep the boss happy with at least one ford in the driveway)
  2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

It is the actuator assy,the new one will come with a wiring harness,you need to t-tap one wire under the tranny hump,the new one is an electric motor,and wilkl come in and out in 1 second,as opposed to 7-10 seconds for the heated stock one.
  3. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

In my travels, I have seen a conversion kit for the heated actuators, looks like a choke cable coming thru the dash, you lock and unlock the CAD at will.
  4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

The upgraded acutator is cheaper than the conversion,and I could see some dumby trying to engage the axel going down the road,with the T--case in 2wd,ouch.In all honesty the cable is more reliable,,but Id rather have the one lever,it is so fast with the new actuator,that it is almost instantanously in 4wd.

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

i up graded an 89 to a vacume operated one made by warn and it works well but i never heard of a direct setup ?! who makes it?

factory upgrade?