1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1990 Chevy Brake Problem / Question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by wsmm, Jul 28, 2011.

1. wsmm

wsmm Member

I have a 1990 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup with the RWABS only system. Had to replace my rear brake line last year, rusted through. Put on new brake lines and bled brakes. Now if I tend to put the brakes on hard, and sometimes when I just do it easy the brake warning light in the instrument cluster comes on. If I tap the brake peddle once or twice the light goes back out. I have not been able to figure out what is causing it, also my brake pedal seems to go a little low. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bill

2. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Try bleeding the hole system, front and back.

3. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

I had to replace a valve in my 93 brake system, to solve that problem. I think it was called a portioning valve.

4. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

Start simple. Check to see if the master is a little low on fluid, then re-bleed the system, then pull the drums off the rear to make sure everything is dry and functioning.

5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The sensor wires could have a problem. The sensor itself could be going. Some systems you need to bleed the ABS controller too. Look and see if it has bleeders on it. Some need a scan tool to activate the system to bleed it. Look at the level in the master cylinder reservoir. Some have a brake warning light when the level gets low. That sensor may be bad or sticking.