1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1990 Chevy 4.3 v6, 5 spped manual, okay to start off in 2nd gear

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by wsmm, May 17, 2010.

1. wsmm

wsmm Member

I normaly don't use my 1st gear when driving, starting off in 2nd for noraml driving. Would this be okay to do when plowing also, or would it be too hard on the clutch. Figure if I can start in 2nd, I could remain in it for plowing, not so for 1st.

2. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

You should start in 1st gear when you are plowing IMO.

3. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

It is always best to plow with the least effort possible. Unless you have some wicked low rear end ratio, starting in first would be best. Abusively slipping the clutch is one of the fastest ways to premature failure that there is. Heat is one of the biggest killers of all components of just about anything.

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If it's the granny gear go right to 2nd I did with my 77

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

It's fine if you would like to learn how to change a clutch.

6. wsmm

wsmm Member

Update with transmisison gear ratios

The transmission is the Getrag unit. 1st gear is 4.02 with 2nd gear being 2.30. I was planning on using 1st gear for the short drive way runs, only starting in 2nd gear on the long drive way stretches which are bout 800 feet. If I start in 1st gear for all areas, any tricks on shifting into 2nd for the long runs, to keep the momentum up. Up until now I've always plowed with an automatic.

Thanks for all of the help.
    Bill

7. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

If you normally take off in second why would you change... Take off in 2nd like normal, once everythings rolling then put the plow down... Even with automatics, I dont drop the blade until the trucks up and rolling... Its just easier getting that initial momentium going...

8. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I'm sorry but... some people should not be driving a standard.

If you cant tell when you are abusing a clutch you should not be driving with one.

Its NOT rocket science, If you have to slip the clutch too much its not working, if you bog down the motor its not working. If neither of these is true then start in second.