1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1990 chevy 1500??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mg1826, Nov 1, 2009.

1. mg1826

mg1826 Member

Hi Guys, I'm looking at a 1990 Chevy 1500 with 240,000 miles on the body with a brand new 305 motor (approx 400 miles on it), new tranny, new radiator, new alternator, gas tank, gas lines, brakes, rotors, brake lines...The truck comes with a two year old Curtis plow that is garaged when not used and looks brand new. I drove the truck for about 30 minutes yesterday and seems to be very tight and the 4 wheel drive appears to be working fine. It is owned by a tow company and only used as a yard truck. The body appears to be in good condition with typical rust/rot on the cab corners. The interior is clean. The tires are in fair condition with some rust on the wheels. The exhaust seems fine with new hangers. The owner says he has "thousands into it especially with the new plow and engine/tranny". He thinks he wants around $5000. I think the truck is really worth closer two $3000. Any suggestions?? Thanks

2. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

$1,500 MAX- the thing has a QUARTER OF A MILLION MILES on it!

3. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

He wants 5k!?!?!? HAHAHAHA. The plow was probably close to that 2 years ago. If you want just the truck, I would say $1500, with the plow, maybe $2500.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If the frame is solid, and the body rust is limited to the cab corners, go for it. If the engine is a new GM Goodwrench engine, that's a couple grand. I presume new trans means a rebuilt 700 R4. I don't think the price is unreasonable, especially if the plow is in great condition. That truck is good for another 100K easy. The motor would make it to a half million.

5. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I agree with you, to a point. He could just as easily buy a '00 or newer 2500/2500HD with a gas engine, and less miles, and probably a plow too, for just around $8K to $10K or so- why would a 19 year old 1/2 ton truck with over 200,000 miles really be worth $5K?

I'm not trying to sound like an arse, I'm just saying he should shop around- there are a LOT of good deals out there!

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

No doubt there are some great deals out there, but I don't think he could do much better for five grand. Brand new engine, trans, and two year old plow. Like you say Matt, need to do some shopping around.

7. mg1826

mg1826 Member

Thanks for the replies. I'm probably going to offer him $2500-3k and see if he bites at it. I'm looking to purchase a cheap truck for my rental homes and pick up a few driveways for extra cash and maybe help plow several condo units with a friend for hourly/$. This truck would be far from an everyday driver and would only be used for plowing and small jobs.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If the plow looks like a two year old plow should, I would offer at least $3500. A two year old plow would cost you close to that, presuming you had a truck to mount it on. Sounds like a perfect truck for what you need to do.

Nothing wrong with making an offer, just don't be an A$$ about it and lose out. Some of these old timers will tell you to take a hike if you're way off.

9. mg1826

mg1826 Member

I just took another look at the truck and the truck side plow mount has been welded in the front. The owner stated that an employee accidentally backed a tow truck into the truck side plow frame causing it to bend. The weld appears to be solid but it concerns me. I'm hoping to use this for some negotiating power but I also want to make sure this will be ok for plowing. We connected the plow a few times and I moved the plow up, down, left, right several times and it doesn't appear that the push plates are lose or. difunctioning. Again, I will only be plowing a few driveways and want to use this mostly for an "estate" type truck.***Also he said the motor is a new 305, not a vortec not sure of the make but I think it starts with a J? The tranny is a rebuilt 700R4. Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it.

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

A 1990 would (should) have a TBI fuel injection system. Needless to say it won't have the power of a 350, but they are solid running engines, fine for plowing in a half ton.

11. Seaway25

Seaway25 Senior Member

Is it a Jasper motor?

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Does Jasper build 305s?

13. mg1826

mg1826 Member

Yes, he said it is a Jasper motor. I will find out what exactly it is. Any feedback on Jasper motors?