1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1990 Chevy 1/2 ton front suspension quesiton

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by wsmm, Jul 25, 2010.

1. wsmm

wsmm Member

Just had a mount fabbed for my 1990 Chevy 1/2 ton. Old style Myers plow 71/2 foot. Do I need to do any thing with the front torsion bar system to account for the extra weight. Plow is only going to be used to plow my drive. This is my spare third vehcile so it dosen't usually get driven a lot. If I take it to town to fill up it's only a 7 mile drive in the country.

Also if I need to crank up the torsion bars, can they safely be done without using the special GM tool? Could I use a C clamp or the clamp unit from a ball joint press?

Thanks,
    Bill

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Wouldn't hurt to add a set of Timbrens. A 7.5 isn't excessively heavy but being an older truck the T-bars will have lost some of their carrying capacity thus the TImbrens will help carry the additional weight and help the truck drive safer. Don't forget a little ballast in the rear too. Really helps on the lighter trucks especially.

If the truck also has the usual nose down stance a T-bars adjustment would be a good idea. A few turns is usually all that's needed to make a dramatic difference. And to do that you need no special tools, they're only needed if your removing the bars or keys for some reason. To make an adjustment you'll only need a floor jack, an 18MM socket/ratchet and some penetrating fluid. If the truck is like any other 20 year old one out there be sure to spray the adjusting bolts for at least a few days BEFORE you attempt to turn them as they can and will break off if excessively corroded.