1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1990 3500 dump - plowing?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by adv.building.el, Jan 18, 2009.

1. adv.building.el

adv.building.el Junior Member
    from PA

Ok, here is the deal, I got a 90 3500 dump with a 10'dump bed that a customer of mine gave me for doing some flooring for them. Here is the ?, he said that before he bought it, there use to be plow on it. supposedly he had a full load of road salt in the bed and hit a light pole with the plow and that resulted in the frame being bent a little, it does not affect anything else at all and you cannot vissibly see any "bends" in the frame.

With this damage, what would your thought be about putting a plow on it? Should I get the frame strightened? And if I can, what type of plow?

Other than that it is a very strong truck, 85k miles, 456 rear, very strong 350, 4 spd manual tranny.

Any help would be appreciated

2. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

If the wheels are showing proper alignment go for it Ive got three 3500HD dually double frame with 8 foot plows get some weight on the back and parking lots are no problem. Ive even done country lanes with em get a lil stuck run some sand under the wheels or turn on sanding unit and barrel through. They are one tough machine

3. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Bring it to a body shop and have them check the frame probably cost $2-300

4. adv.building.el

adv.building.el Junior Member
    from PA

Frame was checked. It has a slight bend in it and they can straighten it for around 1200. But, he said that the frame is still as strong as it was straight and it will always be weaker where it was straightened.

So if I do plow with it, what size plow should I look for?