1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1990 1 ton

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Ben, Oct 8, 2002.

1. Ben

Ben Member

Im looking at a 1990 gmc 1 ton 4x4 duel wheel flat bed to plow with what do you guys think. it is a 454 with 4 speed with 456 gears. I have a boss plow that came off my 1998 ram.

2. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Should work, but why are you even considering a 4sp for a plow truck?

Remember a 1990 truck is now 13 years old. Things start breaking that are quite annoying. I'd look for something a bit newer or a bit older if I were you.

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I'd reconsider getting a manual transmission for plowing. With those duals you will likely need a 9' - at the very least 8'6" plow. What size came with that Ram? Also, with a flatbed the rear end is going to be pretty light - you're going to need plenty of ballast. I have about the same setup and find an empty 900+ lb Vbox about the right amount.

4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Ben, Welcome to Plowsite!!!:drinkup:

Look around for Maverick, he's got a similar setup.

If you do a lot of backing with your plowing, you'll want an automatic for two reasons:

1. Your leg/ankle won't be sore at the end of a night of plowing.

2. Atomatics are faster to shift, and actual ground speed in reverse is faster. Time is money!

If you're doing roads where you only back occassionally, a standard is fine.

5. Ben

Ben Member

My current boss is a 7'6'' but thinking about going to the 9'2'' V if i get the truck. The reason for the 4 speed is that i have never had trans problems with them. The truck has been taken care of I think that I will buy it. Thanks Ben