1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1989 Toyota 4x4

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks' started by yotaplow9, Nov 22, 2009.

1. yotaplow9

yotaplow9 Junior Member

Fit everything back on the toyota today to make sure it all worked before the snow flies. Bought the plow setup last year and only plowed once (4"). Last winter I used the slick stick mounted on my shifter. The slick stick was pretty worn out though, and would make the plow do some goofy stuff. This summer I rewired it with dual toggles and mount the switches on the dash to my left, in front of the turn signal lever. I also did some rust repair on the blade and painted it with rustoleum rusty metal primer (red color) and then meyers sno flo. Last weekend I built a divider for my side boards to keep my 5- 5 gallon buckets of "tube sand" against the tail gate. Let it snow! :D -Ben

1989 Toyota 4x4
    4 cylinder 22RE
    5 speed
    6' steel flat bed with 5/4 treated deck
    30x9.50 -15 BFG All Terrains on stock steel
    6.5 Meyers plow/ mounts/ lights
    E-60 pump controlled by dual toggles
    300# ballast on the back of the bed
    Torsion bars cranked 1" over stock ride height spec
    Stock rear leaves

100_6498.jpg
    100_6499.jpg
    100_6500.jpg

100_6498.jpg

100_6499.jpg

100_6500.jpg

2. S-205

S-205 Senior Member
    from Ontario

Man that looks like a great little work truck. I hope it stays reliable like all toyota's do. How many miles are on it?

3. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

nice and clean for an 89. just got rid of my 90 that was in horrible shape, still managed to get $500 for it in not running condition.

Do you like plowing with the BFG at's? I have a set of 31's on one of the trucks and it was horrible to plow with. we swap over to winterforce tires in the winter and they're 10x better (we also drop down a few sizes to help gear it down for the extra weight too. Flatbed looks great, I have one flatbed too and made it a dumper.

4. yotaplow9

yotaplow9 Junior Member

This truck almost has 163000 on it. When I first bought the truck it had some mudking tires on it that were pretty worn and were made of a hard compound of rubber. I've had the all terrains on it for 25000mi and so far they work great. Quiet on the street, but will still throw mud on the hood. I've only plowed once with them, but they seem to work well on snowy roads. How do the timbrens work on your truck? Post up some pics if you have time- could turn this into a toyota plow truck thread!

5. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

I found the at's floated over the snow too much, but I was running 31x10.5 too. yours look a little narrower which probably dig better in the snow.

here's a pic from the first winter I plowed with #4. before i put snows on and I had a spray rig in the back too. this truck is the flatbed/dumper now.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  6. yotaplow9

yotaplow9 Junior Member

Wow that is a nice truck! I saw you use timbrens. Front and rear both? I tried to look those up for these trucks once and did not see a listed application. Are these for another model of truck? Part #? How do they work?

7. S-205

S-205 Senior Member
    from Ontario

163 k is pretty good. My brother has a 2004 Tacoma TRD extended cab V6 that has 100k miles and its in awesome shape (was a texas truck) and I have a 1985 Solid axle 4runner sitting in my field with a 3 inch body lift, jacked springs and 36 x12.5 Super Swamper TSL's. The 4runner has 471000 miles on the body but the 4 cyl 22RE was rebuilt and bored out. Awesome trucks.

8. ChevyHD4X4

ChevyHD4X4 Senior Member

91 toy 126K, second year plowing with her and not any problems....so far. She is a back-up for tight places the HD cant go.

[​IMG]

Nice toyota's in here!

9. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping Senior Member

Nice looking toyota flatbed yotaplow9, coming from another toy owner.

10. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping Senior Member

How much did you spend to make that dump? Did you buy a kit or make it from parts.

11. yotaplow9

yotaplow9 Junior Member

Nice rig chevyHD. It would be nice to have the extended cab sometimes. GM landscaping, I read through your toy rebuild thread a couple weeks ago. Lots of work but a great finished product :D What engine and transmission are all of you guys running? Good/bad?

12. 502monte

502monte Junior Member

yotaplow9 and BSDeality nice setup. I like the bed setup did you make it yourself? Do you guys have any prints or more pics? Would like to make a bed for my truck.
    Thanks

13. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

i made the bed myself. bought all the steel and went to town. I made it wide enough to clear the rear tires so I could keep it lower to the ground. In retrospect it was a poor design choice as reversing with the stock mirrors is difficult because the headboard gets in the way. I am planning on shortening it down and raising it up so its flush with the cab like the other guys flatbed in this thread. I used electric linear actuators from northern tool (two of them). They didn't make it through the winter as the salt got inside and corroded all the electronics. They're not quite powerful enough for it either if the load is in the front of the bed it struggles or will not lift it unless assisted. It was more of a luxury item on the build anyways so it doesn't bother me too much.

I think this is the only picture I have from the build process.
    [​IMG]

14. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

I bought them from albanyspring.com great to deal with.

15. yotaplow9

yotaplow9 Junior Member

502, I don't have any pictures of when I built my bed. I used square tubing (all .120 wall); 2x2 for main runners, 1x2 for crossmembers, 1x3 for the outer sides, 2x2 for the headache rack, and a 2x5 for the back bumper/tail light housing. I used 5/4 treated decking for the floor of the bed. My stake pockets are welded to the inside of the 1x3 outer tubes with the decking notched around them. I used the tubing so there was no where for water and snow to sit in. I also drilled drain holes in the tube and spray oil inside to keep them from rusting from the inside out. I've only used it for a year, so far everything works good. Use automotive quality paint right off the bat. I got in a hurry and just brushed on some cheap rustoleum. As soon as salt spray hits it, it gets chipped and rusts right away. Next summer I am going to paint it with dupont nason auto paint and seal the decking. I am also trying to find one of those round plastic fenders they put on 1 ton dumps to cut in half and use on my truck

16. 502monte

502monte Junior Member

Thanks for thr replies and the information. Hopfully I will be able to make one in the spring.:bluebounc

17. mrascoe

mrascoe Junior Member

that truck looks awesome,i like the dump .:

18. 1redrocker

1redrocker Junior Member

what plow mount do you have

I have the same truck/ year. But I have no mount for my meyers 6.5 tm model plow. No one seeems to be able to help locally. What mount do you have? is it a meyeres or fabricated ? If meyers do you know the part number? Thanks
    Dave

19. yotaplow9

yotaplow9 Junior Member

Meyer Setup

Yes it is an all Meyers setup. I found mine used, but it took some searching and an 8 hour drive to get it. I didn't have much time to look, however since the clutch when out in my tractor and I needed a back up fast. The mount consists of a lower push bracket that connects w/ 2 bolts that share holes with the lower control arm frame connecting bar and the upper mount for the pump. You can find the mounting brackets owners manual on meyer's site ( I just search for toyota pickup). I saw some parts for sale here locally on Cleveland craigslist:
    1. Mounts, e-47 pump, and blade for $500.00 ( did not look the best of shape)
    2. Lower mount only for $80.00

The meyers parts for toyotas seem fairly few and far between, someone told me they only manufactured parts for 2 years. Not sure if that is a fact.

I don't have a p/n.

Edit: I have seen full setups for up to $2500 (nice) and have seen mounting brackets only for up to $1200

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  20. 1redrocker

1redrocker Junior Member

thanks for the info

Very Helpful! Thank you for your reply and the information. I will be contacting the mount seller in the morning. I will be in touch as I get this thing going.