1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1989 starting problems Fuel?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by milwaukeevtwin, Nov 28, 2010.

1. milwaukeevtwin

milwaukeevtwin Senior Member

Well i went out to move the 1989 chevy 2500 silverado and it would not start. It cranks over and is not getting fuel? When i pour fuel into the carb it starts then runs untill it burns the fuel out of the carb. I installed a new fuel filer and pump with hanger. Same thing? No difference. I am frustrated and thinking maybe carb problems? I here the pump running.
    Any suggestiond PLEASE HELP!

2. roteye38

roteye38 Member

with someone trying to start it tap on the fuel regulator

3. milwaukeevtwin

I do not mean to sound stupid, but where and what is the regulator?

4. milwaukeevtwin

I did a search and found some pics. Will try tomorrow. Thanks, Ron

5. milwaukeevtwin

Trouble

Tried that and other things today. Nothing. When i pull the line off on the passengers side of the carb and turn on the key, Gas poors out of the line. Installed new regulator still nothing. I am thinking of dropping the tank and checking to see if my brother mixed up the lines? Would this affect it? He is not sure and second guessing himself? But i am getting gas to the carb. That is what confuses me?:dizzy: I here the pump come on when the key turns on also? If i put gas in the carb it will fire up and burn that gas out then dye. PLEASE HELP?

6. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

Is it a carb or tbi?

7. milwaukeevtwin

Throttle body:confused:

8. BlizzardBeater

from Maine

I thought that the 89's where all tbi. could be wrong, but it would make a difference in what you'd have to check.

9. milwaukeevtwin

All the ones i have seen. What do i check for next? Is it possible for the lines to get mixed up on the fuel pump? I did not think they were the same meaning they could screw into either end?

10. BlizzardBeater

from Maine

It shouldnt be possible. Have you tried pulling any engine codes? Changing the fuel filter? After sitting long could be water or bad fuel. Drain tank and add plenty of fresh fuel. Try the easy things first. Check to see if a fuel line got pinched putting the tank back in. I've seen this happen before and create that exact issue.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  11. milwaukeevtwin

fuel problems

Already tried the easy stuff. WIX filter new regulator, Gas is only a week old. Of course filled it up. Ran fine last week. Have not checked any codes? Tank is still sitting on jack for easy access and no line pinched. I am so confused. About ready to put the tank in and have it towed to shop, but it will take a week and we may have snow coming in.

12. milwaukeevtwin

Fuel gushes out when key is turned on and line is pulled on carb. No pinched line.

13. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Check !!! There may be a small filter at the carb inlet..Screen....Fine mesh filter..

Should be another fitting screwed into the carb..

Some older one had them...

14. milwaukeevtwin

not there in this one

15. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

I have a 89 chev 2500 5.7 K code with tbi I'm still learning about the truck but isn't there a fuel injecter on top of the tbi with two wires? check for a break in the wires. I will look at mine in the morning to see if I can be of more help, don't give up.

16. milwaukeevtwin

problems

Replaced them, already. Did everything i can think of.

17. roteye38

roteye38 Member

drivers side fuel is the inlet thats where the gas should be coming out of with it off sounds like your not getting any injector pulse check to see if the grounds from the computer are still connected up they will be next to the thermastat or in a intake bolt you have spark ?

18. milwaukeevtwin

How will gas come out therre with it off? It does it with the key on. Is that what you mean?

19. milwaukeevtwin

spark

If i did not have spark. When i put gas in the throttle body why would it run and burn the fuel out? Then shut down? Does anybody know if the ignition module controls the spark and injectors? That would be my next guess:mechanic:

20. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

I looked at mine today with it running and hit the gas a couple of times, its a little hard to see the mist from the injecters but when I looked down the TBI I could see little droplets of gas on the butter flys.
    I would check for pulse like roteye said