1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1989 GMC V 3500 4WD light won't work

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by hitower, Apr 27, 2009.

1. hitower

hitower Junior Member
    from midwest

Guys,

I'm fixing up my GMC 4WD V3500 dump truck and I cannot get the 4wd light to come on in the dash. I checked the switch on the transfer case and that is working. Then I jumpered across the wiring harness to see if the light would come on, it did not.
    I'm thinking is the bulb is burned out??
    I tried to feel around behind the dash panel and could not find a bulb socket.
    Are these inside the instrument panel? Are they even changeable??
    The service engine light right next to it works every time I start the truck.
    Any help would be appreciated!!
    Thanks

2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I would bet the bulb is burned out. You will have to get inside the instrument panel to replace it. Had to do it a few times on my 84 K20. And yes the bulbs are changeable as well. I would suggest you just replace all the bulbs while you are in there. I can almost guarantee that within a week of changing the one, another will burn out. At least that is my luck anyway, lol:)