1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1989 F350 4x4 Parting Out

Discussion in 'Used Plowing and Truck Equipment Forum' started by linckeil, Feb 18, 2010.

1. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

i will be picking up a 1989 F350 4x4 within a couple of weeks. i will be removing the dump hoist and parting out the rest. according to the guy i bought it from, it started giving him engine problems about 6 months ago and hasn't run right since. he parked it doesn't have the motivation to work on it. the truck is complete and here are the details:

- originally a SRW truck converted to a DRW - has budd rims all around, but used spacer plates to make them fit the axles, so remove the plates and both axles are back to a SRW configuration

- dana 60 front axle with kingpins (no ball joints) and ford 10.25" rear end 3.55 gears

- 460 gas engine

- C6 auto trans - suppoesdly rebuilt a year ago, not sure what model transfer case it has

- 6 year old rugby mason dump body in excellent condition (just the body - no hydraulics)

- fisher conventional plow with under the hood belt driven hydraulics

would consider selling it all once i remove the dump hoist and hydraulics. i will get some pictures up once its on my property. located in newtown ct. if you are interested in anything let me know.

2. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

3. CMerLand

CMerLand Senior Member

Would like to see a pic of that dump body. God knows how id get it home from CT tho but my second floor in my dump is starting to show holes

4. russtree

russtree Junior Member

I live on long island im interseted in the front differential and transfer case and tranny

5. sparksrides

sparksrides Senior Member

what do you want for the tranny???

6. linckeil

from CT

i was supposed to pick the truck up last weekend, but the warm temperatures turned the seller's yard into a mud pit. and now with the all the BS rain/snow/sleet this week, it looks like i'll be yet another week out.

according to the owner, trans was recently rebuilt and shifts great, but i cannot vouch for that.

once i get the truck and give it a real good look over i'll let you know what i'd be asking for the parts and i'll get some pictures up.

i do have another C6 with transfer case, but it does not fit the 460, it fits the 300/302/351. it was rebuilt 3 years ago at a cost of $800 (thats with me removing and installing it). It saw maybe 4,000 miles. it has new torque convertor and was entirely rebuilt with heavy duty clutches and a transgo shift kit. No disappointments with this unit. You can also have the transfer case which is still mounted to it. looking for $400.

7. russtree

russtree Junior Member

my truck is a 1990 with a 7.3 that i would like to make 4 wheel drive

8. linckeil

from CT

i don't know too much about the diesels. does the 7.3 have the same bellhousign pattern as the 460? if it does, then i have everything you need to make your 2wd a 4wd.

once i remove the dump parts, i could sell you the entire truck if interested. that way you'll know for sure you have everything you need. and then you could sell what you dont need and make some money back.

9. TheEquineFencer

TheEquineFencer Member

How much for the truck without a bed/body, maybe even without the plow? All I'm looking is a cab/chassis, maybe another plow. I really don't like the belt driven ones unless they are installed where they stay in place.

10. linckeil

from CT

FYI - i did some quick research and it looks like the 7.3 diesels have a different bellhousing pattern. but you can remove your 2wd trans tailshaft and put the adapter and transfer case from my truck on and be all set.

i'd probably get rid of the complete truck (minus the dump setup) for about $2000. when i looked it over i was most concerned with the dump setup, but once its on my property, i'll look the whole thing over really well and assess it. i know a king pin dana 60 alone goes for $1000.

11. russtree

russtree Junior Member

let me know when you are ready

12. linckeil

from CT

so the truck is finally now in my possesion. i will hopefully get some pics up tommorow.

the more i think about it, the more I'd like to remove all the dump parts and sell the complete cab and chassis. but i will part out if I am unable to sell it complete.

13. linckeil

from CT

ok - here are some pics i took this morning. i still gotta give it a good look over and i plan to do that this weekend. let me know if you want specifics or close up pics of anything. i'm hoping to get rid of the complete cab and chassis - just as it sits now minus the bed. and i'll also be keeping the plow lights. the fisher plow is an 8 footer and has a snowfoil on it.

russtree - you still interested? anyone else?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  14. russtree

russtree Junior Member

yep give me a call 631-445-5829

15. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Seems like too nice a truck to part out!

16. procut

procut Senior Member

Kind of what I was thinking, find a different engine and you'd be golden.

17. streetscrapin16

streetscrapin16 Senior Member

If you dont mind me asking, what did you pick that up for?

18. TheEquineFencer

TheEquineFencer Member

Are you just looking a truck with a dump body in the end? Does it have to be 4x4? If not I'll trade you. I have a 2wd '97 PSD, rebuilt engine, new clutch, 4 new tires on the rear, Front tires are 75-85%, A/C that works, 12 foot electric dump, new pump on dump. The only thing wrong with my truck is the clutch linkage at the pedal is worn out at the pivot point, you have to push the pedal ALL the way to the floor. You'll have to get your truck to me though as I have no way of getting it here. Think about it. Assuming the engine in yours is repairable without having to put a cranks or block in it.

19. linckeil

from CT

yeah - it is a bit too nice to part out - thats why i'm trying to sell it whole... the pictures make it look like its in a bit better condition than it is, but still in pretty decent shape. heck - 75% of trucks from this era i see on the road are in worse shape... and the engine issue may be a real simple fix, i don't know. i don't even intend on trying to start it. i just have too many projects going on.

the guy i got the truck from owed me some money for some work i did for him, so he gave me the truck plus i threw in some cash, so its hard to say what i really paid... i know what the dump is worth and that was really all i was after.

equinefencer - i'd consider looking at what you got, but transporting the trucks to and from NC is something i really don't want to get invovled with, but thanks for the offer.

20. linckeil

from CT

so i cleaned it up and looked it over today. the biggest issue i see is the wiring. at some point in this trucks life, it was given just about every electrical accessory you can imagine - all sorts of running lights all over, strobes, several aftermarket gauges, jumper cable box, air horn with electric compressor, trailer brake controller, power port, etc.. the trouble is, everything was wired poorly. under the dash is rats nest of wires that extends into the engine bay.

there is some rust on the fenders right near the mud flaps and a little near the bottom of the doors. the frame is in very good shape. not much scale on it and very solid. the truck rolls freely and the front brakes seem to work (at least well enough to stop it from a 5mph roll). the rear brake line is broke. so i can't say how much work it would be to get it up and running, but if you're good with wiring, it probably wouldn't be that big of an effort. or use it for parts - lots of good, valuable parts on this truck...

heres a few more pics i snapped today.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2010