1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1989 f250 spark issues

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by bucky6981, Nov 20, 2010.

1. bucky6981

bucky6981 Member

The truck was sold yesterday, as the guy was leaving with it only made it about two miles down the road and quit. I habe never hd an issue with this truck and now all of a sudden this!
    I have done all the checks in the Haynes manual and they aLl check out just right, power to both relays, power to the coil with flashing test light on neg side, ignition module tests all pass on an ohm meter, but still no spark! Also I did change the coil out for two other ones, I can get the coil to spark of I jump it but not if I crank it. I'm very stumped and looking for some direction.

2. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Most times the module will (test) good but it is bad. I would try another. Do u have injector pulse?

3. bucky6981

bucky6981 Member

Yes I do have injector pulse. What would that point to if not?

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Having owned two vehicles with that ignition system. I would think it's the ignition module. Take it out and have it tested. If it's bad have them test to new one too before you take it. I have got 2 that were bad right out of the box! They sell a tool to get it out. I use a 3/8's universal and a torque bit that fits. I think it's a #12. My 351 had screws and nuts. I had to pull the distributor to get it out.

If someone reading this has this era truck/system. If you need one, buy the heavy duty one. Once again, make them test it. Make sure the dielectric grease is put on the mating surface. Make sure it's clean too ( Other mating surface ) put dielectric grease in the plug too. Make sure the spout plug/pill has grease in it and is firmly in-place.

5. bucky6981

bucky6981 Member

Well it was the module! Funny thing is that it tested out just fine and was generating a signal! Oh well its a Ford thing. Haha

6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Yep, been there, had it happen to me. I have a bit of experience with the Ford systems. Between my Dad's trucks, mine and my buddies.