1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1989 Dodge W/100

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by limargie25, Jan 19, 2004.

1. limargie25

limargie25 Guest

Does anyone have any experience plowing with a 89 W/100? I just bought one for $1500. It aint the prettiest thing but she runs great and has a 7.5 fisher mm1. I tried to post a pic in the pictures section but it wont let me (any ideas)
  2. KLC99

KLC99 Senior Member

Very solid truck. You may have problems with the 4x4 actuator in the front axle but it is an easy fix.

Also, open the hood and make some sort of a shield over your distributor cap as rain or snow water from the windshield and hood drain right onto it and can screw up your spark.

Other than that I wouldn't expact any problems other than rust in the fenders.

The late '80s were good years in my book---those leaf springs should hold up any plow you want to put on them.
  3. limargie25

limargie25 Guest

KLC99 thanks for the info, already replaced the actuator and will take your advice on the distributor shield. I dont have a rust problem YET but it is the northeast so it wont be long. Thanks
  4. limargie25

limargie25 Guest

:drinkup: I was finally able to load up the pic, Thanks for the help
    and let me know what you think. It is in the picture forum.
  5. 440trk

440trk Senior Member

The 72-93 Dodge's are pretty much built like tanks. I plow with a 77 Club Cab W150 (Full time 4x4), and I'm quite happy with it's performance.
    If you take care of that 89, it should prove to be a worthy plow truck. I agree, that era front axle had the auto locking hubs...that's probably it's weakest point...and it's not all that terrible to fix either. Enjoy your new plower!

6. mtremblay23

mtremblay23 Junior Member

i have a 1990 w 150 with a pathfinder 7.5 plow.its a good truck. it has about 170,000 miles on it and still runs like new.i can carry 2 tons in it and it doesn't slow down. if your truck is like mine then you won't have any trouble with it.
  7. pookies1967dodg

pookies1967dodg Junior Member

i am just starting out in the plowing area, and i will be using a 1987 dodge power ram w/100. although i have another plow vehicle, i am currently looking for a plow frame for this truck, hopefully from someone in the minnesota, minneapolis area or surrounding area. price should be reasonable. as mentioned before, excellent advice about making a cover for the dist. cap. sometimes even washing the truck causes water in the cap, I have often just used silicone to seal the bottom of the cap to the dist. body & used a tad around the top of the plug wire's where they connect to the cap, this works well also, a tad more maintance, but it does the trick. i heard good things about the w/100 especially the mid to late 80's were solid, and real work horses.

8. big blue 2500

big blue 2500 Junior Member

My first truck, which I bought new with HD packages, is an '86 W150 Ramcharger. 230,000 miles on it now and still runs good. Never went over 4K miles without oil and filter change. Excellent plow truck. Still has original alternator. I installed warn manual lockers which made non 4WD mode much better.