1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1989 chevy wont run when warm

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by roteye38, Mar 16, 2009.

1. roteye38

roteye38 Member

working on a 89 chevy 4x4 305 started it up was running then it began to idle high sprayed some carb cleaner in it stalled out then will not start if i hold the gas pedal down it will try to start but act like it is loaded up like the choke is stuck on like in the older models black smoke comes out the throttle body spark plugs are black just put in new module any help would be thank full

2. Puddlejumper

Puddlejumper Member

I am assuming no spark ( go to a parts store and get a spark tester to verify no spark). Assuming that there is no spark you need to check the (I think it is black and white) wire that goes to the coil with a test light hooked to B+. Turn over engine and see if the light pulses. If it does not than you Have A.) A bad module (probably because the coil is shorted which will take out a new module). B.) A Bad coil. C.) A bad pick up coil. As to the age and time involved I would just shotgun a new distributor into it if I verified no spark.

Good luck

3. roteye38

roteye38 Member

the truck runs fine when you first start it up at about 125 temp it starts to spray a whole lot of fuel then it starts to run bad and quit you can hear the fuel being sprayed in the throttle body?

4. Puddlejumper

Puddlejumper Member

You only need three things for a vehicle to run. Spark, compression and fuel. Go to a parts store and buy a $3.00 spark checker. Once you have it isolated to spark follow my directions above.

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I would be tempted to replace the temperature sensor. If it is consistently does what you say, it's a temperature related adjustment to fuel flow.

6. Puddlejumper

Puddlejumper Member

I assume you are speaking of the coolant temp sensor. This will not cause the vehicle to lose fuel. A shorted to ground or power sensor will only cause the vehicle to run lean or rich. This sensor is what is referred to as a fuel trim sensor. What that means is that the PCM only adds or subtracts time from the injectors (Pulse width) to compensate for the temperature of the vehicle. It will not cause the vehicle to stall.

7. roteye38

roteye38 Member

put on scanner temp sensor peged at -41 going to get new sensor will let you all know

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Did you get it running?

9. roteye38

roteye38 Member

changed temp sensor runs great thanks 2cor517

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Glad to hear its running will. It helps to know what the solution is in case someone else has the same problem. I have two TBI 350s and one Vortec 350. The TBIs run and start just as well as the Vortec. Not as much power though.

11. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Your right, you might not have the problem but the info may help you or a buddy later.
    The more you learn the more you know. Amaze and empress your friends.