1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1989 chevy 3500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Bobemash, Jul 4, 2004.

1. Bobemash

Bobemash Junior Member
    from Indiana

im having trouble disassembling the axle on my 1989 chevy 3500
    i cant remove the driver side axle from differential. can anyone tell me what the problem might be?
    thanks in advance for any info

2. spongebob

spongebob Senior Member

i cant help you, but maybe you can help me..
    as long as your under there, could you measure the length of the rear axle for me??
    i have a dually (86) and i want to know if my axle is longer than yours..:salute:
  3. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I should be able to answer both of you.

Bobemash, I'm assuming you are referring to the rear axle, and that it is a 14 bolt GM Corporate axle. I'm also assuming that you have all the bolts out around the axle flange. There is a gasket that in some cases sticks the axle flange to the hub. There is nothing else that keeps your shaft in... its just slid in on a spline. Use a rubber mallet to give it a rap up and down (there is a little bit of play) or side to side... it should come loose and pull out.

Spongebob, there seem to be three different variations in the one-ton variety of our 73-87(91) pickups. There are two 14 bolt rear ends... single wheel (longer) and dual wheel cab and chassis setups (narrow, inner wheel nearly touches the leaf springs) outside length including the wheel is nearly the same width as a single wheel version and almost fits under a pickup box without fenders.... but this is only because of the offset wheels, the actual axle is considerably shorter.

There is also a Dana 70 rear end used in dually pickups.... it is considerably wider than the 14 bolts.... guessing over a foot.

I have never seen a dually pickup with a 14 bolt rear end (originally equipped)

Does this help?