1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1989 Chevy 3500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by born2farm, Jun 18, 2011.

1. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

I have been kicking around buying a second truck for some time now and this is the year I need to. I am looking at a dedicated plow truck that will see little other use. I found a 1989 3500 with the 454 V8 in it. Truck has 153,000 miles on it and is not in real bad shape. It needs some rust fixed on the doors and the one cab corner. Other then that it was the guys daily driver for the last three years so it has gotten what it needed. The interior and stuff could use some work but nothing life ending. It has a 8ft utility bed on it that is solid. No rot on it just some surface rust where scratches are. Comes with a 9.2 Boss V plow in good shape for the year. What kind of price would you through at the guy? He is asking $5,000, and I thought about shooting him a $4200 cash offer?

2. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

153,000 is alot of miles and you said it has rust. But, since it comes with a 9'2" Boss V and an 8' utility body that helps it out. I would offer him $3,500 and come up a little bit but, I personaly would not give over $4,000 and thats realy pushing it.

3. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

that's not a lot of miles for its age. its 22 years old so like 7k miles a year.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

135K? Nothing for a truck of that year. Nothing for a Chevy of any age, really.

5. born2farm

Well I went and looked at it again today when the guy was not home so I could look it over good alone. It is a pretty solid truck. Frame is solid with just a little surface rust. It has had new brakes, shocks, battery, alternator, full fuel system from tank forward and exaust work in the last two years. The plow is very solid. Needs a paint job but nothing life ending. The things it does need are the cab corners fixed and lower doors fixed and then paint the whole truck. I think if I could get it for $4200-$4500 I would be ok. Any opinions?

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like a good deal to me.

7. born2farm

Well I ended up getting the truck for about what I offered. I feel pretty confident about the buy and I know we can save a lot by doing the restoration in house.

8. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

Lets see some pictures!