1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1988 western on my 1996 Suburban 1500?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jkhenry101, Sep 17, 2009.

1. jkhenry101

jkhenry101 Junior Member

Looking for some good advice, I found a good price on a 8 foot western plow full setup still on a 1988 3/4 ton chevy pickup the plow was bought with the truck. Will this be to much for the 1500 1996 Burban. Driveway use only mine and a couple family drives. Any input would be great. Thanks
  2. MeeksCo

MeeksCo Senior Member

I have a 7'6" on my 1500.
    I also have an 8'.
    Dont have timbrens or any added front support and my truck still handles it great.
    When I used the 8' blade, I noticed even that extra 6" was slower to pick up.
    Your suburban should defnitely be able to handle it.

Remember, 8' blade is going to be a chore in some driveways where you literally only have 8'-9' clearance.

If you have to, purchase a set or timbrens or jack up the torsion bars on your sub.
    Good luck.
  3. jkhenry101

jkhenry101 Junior Member

Thanks for the input, I hadn't really considered the width for drive ways the few I would do are wide but if I venture out.... I'll keep it in mind. I was concerned with the weight on the front end and 140k on the vehicle. I am also trying to stick with electric hydraulic not and engine mount pump. Thanks again
  4. MeeksCo

MeeksCo Senior Member

You have two choices, cable joystick operated or electric handheld operated western pump setups.

As long as your engine is running strong, I would work it.
    Make sure you get an oil change before the season starts.
  5. Racer593

Racer593 Member

I run an 8' Pro Plow on my OBS 99 Burb 1500. 2 turns of the bars and I was good to go. Mine has 180k on it now and still handles it just fine. Make sure the heater works good. lots of windows to keep cleaned off!!!!