1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1988 Meyers Mounts?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by altitude8000, Oct 26, 2007.

1. altitude8000

altitude8000 Junior Member

I have a Myers 7.5 foot plow I bought new in 1988. It is mounted on a 1977 Jeep Wagoneer that is shot. I called my Myers dealer to ask about getting a mounting kit to mount the plow on my 2000 Chevy 1500 4x4. Before you say this is a bad idea, I only plow 5-10 times a year for 30 minutes or so, but at times I have to move 4+ feet of snow (I live in CO). The Wagoneers(I have had 2) have been great, but the current mount only fits 77-78 models, and I can't find a good Wagoneer. I'm sure my pickup will be fine.

The dealer says Myers never made a kit for my plow to be mounted to a 2000 Chevy, having changed the design of their plows sometime in the 90's Is this true?

I'm thinking of hiring a welder to disassemble the mount from the Wagoneer and build a new one for the Chevy using the pieces from the Wagoneer mount. Has anyone ever attempted something like this? It doesn't have to be pretty and it doesn't have to have easy on/off because the pickup has 200K miles and is going to be chained up ready to go all winter.
  2. Sharpshooter77

Sharpshooter77 Senior Member

Is this plow a cable drive plow with the hydro pump under the hood. If it is you will have to work out mounting the pump and get a pully to run off the engine to supply power to the hydro pump. If is electric all you have to do is hook up the electrics, Any good welder that has built and worked on plows before should be able to whip up and mount for chevy. I am not very fimlar with meyer plows so i dont know what kind of hydro system those plows had at that time. Any good luck hope this helps ya.
  3. altitude8000

altitude8000 Junior Member

The hydraulics are very simple. I don't have power angle, and the lift is via an electrically driven hydraulic unit.

I guess I'll start shopping around for a welder who wants a project. The Meyers guy said the subframe would have been in the neighborhood of $700 if they had made it, so I might even come out ahead.
  4. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Every one knows the power units have change over the years

Over the years the only thig that has change on the myers plows, is the ear's where it pins to the truck. In the early 90's They moved the ears, other then that its been the same for years, intill they started making the new mounts.