1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1988 International

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Vaughn Schultz, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Howdy, I have know idea what a truck like this should run, nor do I know any thing about this type of truck to know if this is a good deal? The truck would be subbed out to my city for salting and plowing. The truck currently runs and drives strong, plowed snow last year, and has been check out by a mechanic and got the all clear ;) Any comments ?

1988 INTERNATIONAL 4900, DT-466 International 250 HP, 5+2 Spd, Spring Suspension, 4.88 Ratio, 163" WB, 11R22.5 Tires, Spoke Wheels, Single Axle, 86,316 miles, 5-7 Yard Gravel Box and 11 foot 4-way. Nice county plow setup, New clutch and pressure plate and throw out bearing. 86,000 actual miles. 18,000lb front axle and 23,000lb rear axle $11,900

Take it easy
    - Eric

State truck.jpg

2. Vaughn Schultz

Two more pic

State truck three.jpg

State Truck 2.jpg

3. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Eric do you have a contract to sub the truck ? I know up north here its tough to get gov. work. Guys are lined up to get a permenent route. Oh and yes politics often play a part.
    Todd

4. Vaughn Schultz

To be honest, I do not a contract, had a meeting with a city and they are in desperate need of 4 more trucks and would like to sing up with them fast. They seem very interested (maybe because they got the impression that I already have a truck(s) like this) and I will be subbing other trucks to them also. The way I am looking at it If this is a good truck, I'll get it. Then if I can work for the city, great. If not there are plenty more application and justification for this truck in our company.

Thank you for your concern :salute:

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I think you're going to need a CDL for that. Beyond that, I'd be pretty careful getting something like that before you get the contracts. Check out what it's going to cost to license and insure it.

6. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

If you are going that route, see if the Illinois Tollway has any auctions coming up. They have some pretty nice trucks that they auction off every so often. They are alwsy maintained well too.

7. T-MAN

You will also need an "air brake " endorsement to go with the CDL for that truck.
    I would say if the money is right and you have a backup driver go for it.
    Todd

8. Vaughn Schultz

Thank guys, all taken in to consideration ;)

9. flimmy1

flimmy1 Junior Member
    from pa

check the gvw on the registration. If it's 26,000 or less you don't need a cdl unless it has air brakes. That size truck could have hyd. brakes. In that case ( still has to be less than 26,000 ) you won't need the cdl. btw I have a class A cdl with air brake endorsement. How much do you think you can make this season with that truck ?

10. T-MAN

Flimmy with a load of salt and the blade on he will be way over 26000. I would bet more then a couple bucks it is an air brake rig too.
    Todd

11. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

Jump on it! Good price!

12. Vaughn Schultz

Thank you for your responses but above and beyond practicality and licensing . Solely looking at price and what you can read about it mechanically, would this be a good buy? What would you be looking at for a truck like this one. Is this even a good quality truck (make, model, engine, ect.)?

Thank's
    - Eric

13. T-MAN

Is there a fleet maintence record ? How about tires, what percent is there left. Dont want to have to buy new tires for the season. Also any blow by from the engine ? Fleet maintence is key, then you know service was done when it was scheduled to be, not when something broke. Usually trucks are evaluated by the municipality as far as cost, and whats in the budget ( they have too spend it or lose it). i think alot of trucks are let go with many miles left in them for new equipment. On the other hand alot of Muni trucks are completely used up. Oh and dont forget Mud flaps, you need them in Illinois.
    Todd

Last edited: Jul 17, 2005
  14. Swampdonkey

Swampdonkey Member

I have been driving Internationals for 15 years. At 86,000 miles that motor isn't even broken in yet. When I get a truck it has at least 180,000+ miles on it ( I get the trucks coming off the long runs before they are traded in) and have had one with over 500,000 miles on it before it got traded in, and in all those miles one valve broke some where around 300,000 miles. The DT466 is a very good and strong motor lots of torque.

Hope this helps :waving:

15. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

I M O...It'll give the 4&1/4 a run for it's money. Grass....buy my plow from me!!!

16. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

All else fails you would now have a big dump truck. A buddy of mine makes $250 a week just parking on sites it so roofers can fill it with tear offs.