1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1988 Gmc 3500 2wd?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by NoFearDeere, Feb 18, 2007.

1. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I found a 1988 GMC 3500 2WD dump truck for sale. It has only 38,000 miles on a 350 Gas engine. Was wondering if the dump box was loaded down with salt and ballast, would this work well plowing or not? I went on the Boss website and if it was 4x4, I could put a 9.2 V on it, so I know the truck can handle the weight, just wondering about 2WD. Let me know what you guys think. :)

2. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Auto or manual. Got almost the same truck a 1993 gmc 3500hd, lots of salt in the back and you can push a mountain. The only thing is that the rear tires need to be clear of snow for traction. Most of the time people with lots of weight in the back push in 2wd. 4X4 is required to do loading docks and hilly sections. Auto is better, but a man will still get the job done. Just add ice for your knee after a 30hr day of plowing.

If it is a man trans make sure the sincros are not blown out. Grinding gears from forward to reverse will dive you insane.

Good luck

DAFF

3. snowsniper1

snowsniper1 Senior Member

good tires and ballast it would push a 9.2 nicely the only problem w/ a v plow on that truck is the blade clearance when it is all the way up

4. NoFearDeere

The truck is an automatic, and it sits as high as a 4x4. I actually thought it was a 4x4 before I looked at the specs....:rolleyes: The truck is rust-free believe it or not, and was owned by a golf course since new. Maybe some Timbrens too?:)

5. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Truck isn't that much different from mine, it will push fine on flat ground. I use 2wd a lot on mine.

Out of curiosity, what are they asking for the truck?

6. NoFearDeere

Its a sealed bid kinda deal. I know one of the guys that works there and his boss wants $5000 for it....

7. Gmgbo

Gmgbo Senior Member

First time you have a downhill driveway and try to back out or have a sloped entrance into a parking lot you will regret getting 2wd. imo

8. NoFearDeere

I only have about two different places that are really steep, and for those I have my F-250.

9. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I know plenty of guys plowing with 2wds, but they do streets and lots mostly, you get into residential driveways and you have to be awful careful. I wouldn't give $5000 for a 20 year old 2wd. The low mileage is nice, but for that kind of money I'd find a 4x4 dump with a plow already on it. Even if you have to throw some rockers or cab corners on it you'll have a lot more truck. And even with the low miles that motor is still old. Probably need valve seals at the very least. I don't know what a V-plow would do for you, except take weight off the rear wheels, and allow you to carry enough snow in front of it to stop you.

10. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

$5K does seem a little high. Not bad, but not a bargain. On the brighter side it is an easy truck to work on. I think a straight plow would do you better then the extra weight of the v-plow, given it only is 2x2.

I would think $4k would be a lot better deal. $3k and you stole it. :)

11. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Too Much $$

$3,500 Tops.
    Being an auction truck I wouldnt pay over $2,500 for it.You have NO recourse if something goes wrong.
    Remember sometimes a truck that sat to much can be worse than one with high mileage.Seals and anything rubber has a way of breaking down when not in use.
    I just sold my 89 Diesel 1 ton, 12' rack dump, VERY clean turn key truck ,86,000 original miles,Turbo 400 auto, 15mpg for $3,800 this past fall.That was top of the market for that truck.Not at auction either!

89R3500.jpg