1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1988 ford f150 western plow install

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Alaskanoil, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Alaskanoil

Alaskanoil Junior Member

ey everybody,
    I am new to this, but I just bought a western plow with everything including the unimount kit and cables off of a local fb page. I need help installing it, such as install instructions. It is the old style hydraulic cables. I have found some manuals online with the cable and wiring i structions, but I am not sure how to hook the mount to my truck. I think this is the mount that goes behind my bumper.The mount is for my 88 f150. Any help would be awesome. I will answer any questions you have. I will try to figure out pics.

2. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Throw some pics up of what you have. The plow is run by 2 cables?

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

So it's a conventional mount western.
    Did this plow come off a truck that is in the same year(s) as yours?

4. Alaskanoil

Alaskanoil Junior Member

It came off the truck with the year range 80-91 f-250

5. dieselss

6. Alaskanoil

Alaskanoil Junior Member

pics

[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

this what I have.

plow pic 1.jpg

plow pic 2.jpg

plow pic 3.jpg

plow pic 4.jpg

7. dieselss

That unimount mount will not work with the conventional plow. So just put that aside or sell it, or other

8. Randall Ave

I think that is a conventional mount. Beat to death, but conventional. The op has all summer to do the install. I have a brand new hand control cable setup on the shelf if needed. Before you install this make sure the hydraulic unit works.

9. dieselss

The "second pic" on the tailgate is a unimount setup.....notice the brackets for the pump tower.

The first pic.....that setup ALMOST looks like someone welded on a unimount lower section on.....look close.

10. dieselss

Alaska I really hope you saw all this hooked up and working before you paid for it. Looks like a hodged podged setup he was trying to get rid of

11. Randall Ave

I see the other pic now. Still getting used to this new phone. Hope the op didn't pay much. The original picture of the conventional frame may work. Depends on how much work he wants to put into a 28 year old truck.

12. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Bad jo-jo written all over this.

13. Alaskanoil

Alaskanoil Junior Member

So, I did not see it work before hand. I paid under $500 for the whole setup. Sounds like I got screwed? Will it work or am I holding a paper weight?

14. Randall Ave

Anything can be made to work. Depends on your skills. See if the hydraulic unit works first. Dieseles had more experience with the conventional setup than I do. What ever he tells ya, believe it.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  15. Alaskanoil

Alaskanoil Junior Member

I dont mind putting work into it, I am just not sure which one to pit on. The on the tailgate or the one attached to the pump.

16. Randall Ave

If ya put the unimount frame on, you have to get a unimount plow. It is a better set up.

17. Alaskanoil

Alaskanoil Junior Member

So, the frame that the lights are mounted to goes right to my frame and the plow attaches to that? If I go unimount I have to get a new plow or just the pump, lights, and frame that attach to the unimount?

18. dieselss

Yes. Remove the bumper and bolt that whole assm to the frame. The reinstall the bumper. Everything stays on the truck at all times (minus the plow of course)

The unimount set up....you'd need the plow assm and all the wiring. But that's gunna cost. But it's a newer and easier setup to maintain

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  19. Alaskanoil

Alaskanoil Junior Member

Ok, I was thinking I am going to need a relay, battery cable hook ups, and plow lights wiring to get it going once I mount it. Can I buy the two pin connectors and hook them up that way for the motor for the pump? The ones that go through the grill and have a male and female?

20. dieselss

Not sure I follow what your saying as far as the wiring.