1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1988 ford 250 diesel non turbo

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by rickbays, Nov 10, 2008.

1. rickbays

rickbays Member

I found a 88 ford diesel im thinking about getting for a back up truck. The plow is one it already. My questions is how does it plow with not having a turbo? Ive never had a non turbo diesel.

Thanks
    Rick

2. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

like a tank thats how. It will feel like a slug that could move a mountain.

3. Dirtboy953B

Dirtboy953B Senior Member

They plow GREAT! I have a 89' 7.3 non-turbo and a 86' 6.9 non-turbo

4. Grass Master

Grass Master Banned

I could not have said it better my self. Its not a hotrod but it should soldier on for a long time We have a 7.3 nonturbo with 180,000 miles runs great although it does not like to live outside cold blooded.:salute:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  5. Ford_7.3_meyer

Ford_7.3_meyer Junior Member

I have a 90 7.3 with 350,000 it runs great! true it can't accelerate as fast as one with a turbo but then all you do is spin out:dizzy: what plow and how many miles?

6. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

You won't win any races with that truck but it will work and work darn hard for you!

7. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Exactly. My buddy had a F350 with the 6.9 and the thing was a tank. I mean it would push anything without hesitation. For just a backup truck and work only truck, I'd get it in a second.

8. rickbays

rickbays Member

Thanks for the all info. I went up to buy the truck over the 3 days after i looked at it. The guy sold the plow off it for $400. I was a western power angle. Like the saying goes "think long think wrong". I just didnt want to get a truck i had no clue about.

You guys have been very helpful.
    Thanks

9. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge Senior Member

oh boy , your in for a surprise!

Plow with a diesel an I promise you'll never drive a gasser again!!

10. Ford445

Ford445 Senior Member
    from Vermont

So did you buy the plow? If so, where are the pics?

11. rickbays

rickbays Member

He never offered me the plow. he sold it to some other guy. He was only asking 1100 for the complete package. The truck body was rough but i was only looking for a back up. I figured for that price the truck wouldnt plow well. I know different now. I just didnt want to get stuck with a truck i couldnt use.

12. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

i second that!!! the older 6.9 and 7.3 are perfect for plowing, have lots of low end power just off idle right where you need it. they won't win a drag race but they are workhorses!!