1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1988 F350 brake problems

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Tomtsled, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Tomtsled

Tomtsled Junior Member

Recently had back brake job done on my 1 ton dump 4wd diesel. After the work was done, mechanic advised me he could not get brake pedal to stay up. He replaced master cylinder twice, brake booster, and brake proportioning valve. I'm well over $ 1000 into this repair and the brakes still don't work right. Brake light is now also on. Mechanic also tried bleeding the brakes numerous times. He called the techs at Johnson Ford in Kingston, they were no help. Anybody have any ideas as to what could be wrong? One other piece of info, it's not leaking brake fluid from anywhere.

2. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

I'll just throw this out there, because it happened to me recently...A friend and I have both done plenty of brakes in our time. A couple of months ago we did the rears on my 03 F350...Had the same problems and beat ourselves to death trying to bleed the system...turned out the rubber ended brake line got some fluid on it, which made it soft and caused it to give when the break was pressed...therefore couldn't get a firm petal. Replaced the line and it was fixed.

Good luck w/ all that...over 1k...seriously??

3. 01lariat

01lariat Member

Not much more he can replace. The rubber hose idea makes sence. He forget to put a pad on or has the drums set too loose? I'd question this mechanical ability here soon.

4. Tomtsled

Tomtsled Junior Member

The brake porportioning valve was over $ 500 by itself.

5. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

Sounds like a collapsed brake hose.

6. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

There's a vacuum hose that runs to the booster back center of the motor, check for cracks as well as all other lines for breaks or bulging. Sounds like a vacuum problem?

7. ERWbuilders

ERWbuilders Senior Member

where the master cyl bolts to the booster sometimes there is 4 nuts..2 on each stud one set to hold em together and one set to hold hose hangers on...check if he put a set of nuts in between the master cylinder and the booster. that would cause a problem like that. or maybe he forgot to put the pin back on the brake pedal that goes into the booster inside the cab or even forgot to put the pin in from the booster to the master cyl.

8. ERWbuilders

ERWbuilders Senior Member

9. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

not on a diesel. if it was a vaccuum problem it would make he pedal hard to push.

10. clark lawn

from NE ohio

i really wouldnt pay that bill, it sounds like he is just throwing parts at it without any diagnostics.you have a parts changer not a mechanic.

11. Ibuildmyown

Ibuildmyown Junior Member

What brake work did the truck originally go in for? Maybe knowing that we can help back track the problem.

12. Chipper

Chipper Member

Simply remove the spring in the rear anti lock brake controller. 5 minute repair. Its tucked up inside the FRAME right underneath the gas pedal. All you have to do is take a 1 1/4 box end wrench and remove the cap which is facing forward. Remove the spring, careful as it puts pressure on the cap as you remove it. NO brake fluid will leak out. Replace the cab. Then get back in the cab, pump the brake. This will force the little bypass cylinder to the top and with the spring gone it will not return and allow the brake fluid to bypass.
    I know this SOUNDS stupid but has been the cause of my brake problems on my 5 older Ford pickups,89-92. If the brakes get soft, mushy pedal or fade this should be the first move BEFORE the master cylinder. Maybe your mechanic could send me a kick back if this works. :nod:

13. mrv8outboard

mrv8outboard Senior Member

Chipper is right on I believe if you have RWAL. That unit sound like the culprit. Replace it though do not screw with it. Another thing is the components he replace were they used? Rebuilt/Reman? or New? Are they from a reputable supplier, not Autozone or the like. Remember you get what you pay for. All ways ask for the old parts, leave with them then you can dispose of them your self. I all ways offer the replaced parts to my customers.

14. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

That's so Ford dealer attitude! Just replace everything and hope it does the trick. I have had 3 full warranties on vehicles and that's what they do. Don't figure out what's wrong, just replace it all. That should fix it. If not bring it back, we will replace some more parts.

15. Tomtsled

Tomtsled Junior Member

The truck went in for a rear brake job. They put in new drums, wheel cylinder and pads.

16. clark lawn

from NE ohio

did u have good pedal before they "fixed" it?

17. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

i have had the same happen on my 93 f350 4x4. i bled everything even the proportioning valve and i still had no pedal. I was told by a ford mechanic to bleed the abs valve and it it works great now.

I would check the abs first like mvr and chipper said.

I would argue on the bill,especially with the replacement of 2 master cylinders/labor.

18. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Ditto x 4. I had an old 87 with soft pedal and replaced the the RABS valve and it did the trick. I've also heard of guys replacing the spring with a stiffer spring in order to not allow the bypass to work too easily.

If you just try to bleed it, there is a sequence involved that involves the rears first; right rear, left rear, RABS valve, and then Right front, left front.

19. Ibuildmyown

Ibuildmyown Junior Member

Good chance they put the shoes in backwads or the springs on wrong. Also with ABS that has the be bleed seperate. Id bet there is air in the ABS.