1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1988 Dodge Ram Problem (Bogging out)

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by greenworldh20, Feb 11, 2003.

1. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 Member

Sunday when i was driving the motor bogged down and backfired. When this occurred, i can only drive 5-10 mph. the motor was running real rough. then i stopped, put the truck in park and it idles beautifully. it was very cold out in the morning. gas tank was 1/2 empty. so i parked truck in the sun, put dry gas in truck, waited a few hours, and truck ran great.

today i was traveling down the nys t-way to the office and by route 17 the same thing happened! i got the truck off the road. put dry gas in truck, waited a few hours, and it started up.

it was cold in the morining and decent in the afternoon.

what gives???

choke on carberatour? frozen fuel lines? bad fuel pump? change fuel filter? the motor is a 360 v-8 auto trans. 4x4. real great plow truck. no problem until now.

i purchased the truck in december. tuned up, new fuel filter, & brakes.

any help is appreciated.

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

This is just a wild guess,but I say its the catylitic convertor.Do you have a rattling exhaust that you cant find loose anywhere? Could be somethign else,but I suspect this.if its broken it will block off the air flow,bog it down barly run,shut it off,it piece wil lfall to bottom,fire it up,run good until you hit a bump or rev it up,then same thing.
  3. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

bogged down?

Next time this happens run around to your engine and take the air cleaner off. Shut off the engine first. Then manually advance your throttle while looking down the carb throat. If you see ice in there you have water in your gas, or a carb icing problem. YOu will need to continue to de-ice the gas, and make sure your original carb ducting for heat off the exhaust manifold and air flow is intact. Otherwise you are getting too much cold air to the carb
  4. ProSno

ProSno Senior Member

I wouldn't look down the carb as I was advancing the throttle! What happens when it pops back through the carb and your face gets fried. Its all fun and games till someone looses an eye LOL:drinkup:
  5. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

shut the truck off first, before you look down the carb on the "sick" engine.

quick way to get hurt, if the engine does pop through the carb.
  6. wyldman

wyldman Member

Two most common things would be the fuel pump,and the catalytic convertor like John mentioned.

Put a vacuum gauge on it,and drive it.If the vacuum drops down dramaticaly when the problem happens,I would suspect a plugged cat.Most muffler shops can drop the cat,and put a test pipe in,so you can test drive it to see if the problems dissappears.
  7. JThompson

JThompson Member
    from NYC

I have an 87 Dodge Ram. Had a very similar problem. Mechanic checked it out. Said the carb was no good. Put a new carb on and it was solved.