1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1988 Dodge Dakota V6 3.9lliter Surge

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by evenflow, Mar 27, 2007.

1. evenflow

evenflow Junior Member

Started off running hot so replaced the thermostat, hose and flushed radiator. That fixed the problem then starting having problems with a slight miss and major surge. So did a tune up, dist. cap, rotor, spark plugs, wires, fuel filter...etc... and a oil change. Ran great for about 30 min then started the surge again. Then it ran hot and noticed a small leak in radiator. Put some stop leak in it and that fixed it. But cant get the surge to stop. So went and replaced the EGR valve. Once that was replaced it will only run for a bit then cut off.

Now with this being a older model I was told not to always trust the codes it comes up with. On the code it has the Oxygen Sensor is running rich. So does anyone know if this has to be replaced or is there anything I can do to fix this problem.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Me and my husband is about to go crazy over this and he is not a mechanic. Before my surgeries I use to work on cars / trucks some. Now I have to try and tell - show. I know most of the basics but not everything and wont claim to. And I don't know anything about the Oxygen Sensor. So thank you for any help!

2. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

Bet it has Throttle body fuel injection ?
    If so start looking at the throttle speed sensor, also the throttle control
    It is on the driver side front of the TBI unit 2inchs high by 3 inches long oval shaped with arm all but touching the throttle linkage…