1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1988 Chevy..Good for Plowing???

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by FF279, Dec 29, 2004.

1. FF279

FF279 Banned

Hey Im looking at a used 1988 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4!!!! never been used for plowing,Is it a good truck to plow with?? Thanks, Ryan :)
  2. Mainer

Mainer Junior Member
    from Maine

I drive an 87 scottsdale 4X4 6foot step side. works great for me. Guess alot would depend if it was a few drive ways or going to do this for a living. :rolleyes:
  3. FF279

FF279 Banned

Well right now im just doing a couple drive ways, then when I get some money im gonna buy a Ford F-250, ext. cab short box.Black or white :)

4. Mainer

Mainer Junior Member
    from Maine

Hi ryan
    Ya for a few drive ways should work great. i do My drive and its a large driveway. then i have 5 other med size. works great for me. My friend has a chevy like mine he does 10 to 12 drive ways. Just a matter of taking care of it. not plowing a snow bank at a 100MPH..LOL
    Happy holidays.
    James :waving:
  5. gpin

gpin Senior Member

FF279: Your on the right track with the 3/4 tons. It's always a crap shoot with a used truck. You always spend more than you planned to get the plow on: buy used plow: $ and agg on getting brackets, getting it mounted.... or hang a new plow on an older rig, rig blows up.... get a new truck with new plow: scrapes and dents after pushing snow: instant depreciation on big investment. IMHO, the 3/4 tons push easier in a big storm. I prefer the GMC to the Fords, only because my accountant picked uop that the repair costs were higher on Fords. Good luck.
  6. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Stick with the Chevy. I had a 93 that worked great and should be the same setup. We also use a 78,79, & 86 Chevys which still do a good job. Last year I bought a SuperDuty and it does a nice job. . .BUT the repair costs are through the roof. Brakes are more $$. It keeps having exhaust manifold problems and it doesn't have any spark plug wires! To replace the plugs was a 3.1 hour job at the mechanic. Should have done it myself, but it had some engine codes getting checked out which were the coils (the coils which replaced the sparkplug wires at $75 each) and told him to change the plugs while he was at it. My mistake. My point is this: I have a Cummins 4x4 dually, a handful of Chevys, an old 77 Ford hi-boy, and the superdoodie, and they will all break eventually when used how we use them. The Chevy will hold up just as well as the others, but will be cheaper to repair. No matter what you buy, if you plow with it you WILL replace brakes, batteries, exhaust, and alternators sooner or later. Good luck with your decision!
  7. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Any 3/4 ton 4x4 truck is good for plowing.